Rabies and other shots

Tikki

It is mandatory here that all dogs have a yearly rabies shot, even though the shot lasts for three years. But that is the law and the shot has to be given by the Local Authority vet, not a private vet, and is registered under the dog's microchip number - and the owner's ID number, with the Ministry of Agriculture. It is the equivalent of a dog licence. Unfortunately too many people ignore the law, the same as they ignore the fact that dogs must wear collars with tags giving their owner's address when they are out, and must be on a leash in a public place.

LA vets are responsible for animals/poultry for human consumption and cows for milk, also for rabies shots , so he usually calls here when he is on the Moshav. AFAIK he has a clinic in his office every couple of months for giving rabies shots but he has always come here.

Anyhow, Tikva's rabies shot was due and the LA vet was going to come round last Tuesday but had to cancel, said he would be here this Tuesday but did not turn up or answer his phone. So, I was in the kitchen and Tikva did her "there is someone outside" bark, rushing into the kitchen then back into the salon to look out of the door, rushing back in again, all the time telling me that there was someone outside. I went to have a look and there was a car parked outside with a man getting something out of the trunk - then walking down the path - and which point Tikva tried to hide under my chair! She is fine with people she knows but she had only seen him once before, hence trying to hide under my chair.

Sure enough it was the vet with the syringe ready - luckily Tikki's harness has a handle on the back so I grabbed it and held her still while she was given the shot, which she ignored. Little does she know that she is due for the three-monthly Parkworm shot at the end of the month. :rolleyes: All these different things but as her vet forgot to mark the date on her card when he came to give her the yearly booster, [it was 10 August according to my diary] it looks like there will have to be some adjustments in dates so that he will be able to do the Parkworm shot when she has the next booster.