Puppy Size

COCO

I have a quick question for those in the know. Coco is a miniature Choc Dapple, he's just over 16 weeks now and he seems pretty big to me! I took him with me to the vet to collect his worming tablets last week and whilst I was there I weighed him and he came in at 4.35kg, at 16 weeks is that big?

He's quite a leggy daxie, quite tall compared to some, but he's almost the same size as a lot of the full grown mini's we meet! I was just wondering if he's perhaps had his growth spurt and will just fill out more from here or whether anyone thinks he'll get much bigger!

Here are a few recent pics...

Lupita

He's a gorgeous boy!

He does seem quite big for his age, but looks to be an excellent weight. There are puppy weight calculators you can google, which will project an adult weight for your pup, but it sounds like he might be a Tweenie like my Lupi. Her healthy adult weight is around 18 pounds. Now she's supposed to be a standard, but was much smaller than her litter mates. Our friends have a Doxie who is supposed to be a mini, and his healthy weight is the same as hers. But their body shapes are quite different (Lupi is longer and taller, he's stocky)

I will say that having a larger Doxie is nice, because they seem a bit heartier and are able to keep up on hikes etc. However, we got a mini for our second pup so we could travel with her by plane.

Nell

He does seem quite large and his legs look very long for a mini and. At sixteen weeks he is certainly going to continue to grow for a while but this will slow down. We don't have tweenies in the UK so my guess is he will be a standard. He looks a good weight for his size though so he is definitely not overweight. What do you know about his parents?

COCO

Thanks Nell.

Well we got Coco in the space of a couple of weeks, as we had been um-ing and ah-ing bout getting a daxie for a while but we were a bit worried about how our cat would react as we rescued her as a stray when we lived in London. She was very independent but due to her past we didn't want her to feel like we were pushing her out! Unfortunatley she passed away earlier this year, and me and my wife were very upset as she was only young and we have no idea what happened to her just found her down the end of our garden!:(

We went a couple of weeks but we couldn't stand not having an animal in the house so we decided to go for it and get a pup! My wife found an advert on pets4homes website and she fell in love with Coco, he was in a litter of 5 : 2-Choc Dapples 3-Choc and Tan.

I rang up and before I got a chance to say much the breeder Sarah told me that Coco was the only one available, which I said thats great as its the one my wife had her eye on! We went and visited and shock we fell in love with him, we saw him with who we were told was his Mum a red girl called minstrel and she showed us pics of the dad who was a stud. This was only a 1.5 weeks before we could collect coco, so we were only able to visit once. The reason Coco was still available was that she was going to keep him herself but she was 9 months pregnant and her other half had convinced her it wasn't a good idea with a baby on the way!

Mum...

Dad...

Pups...

Since we've had Coco, I've been in touch with 2 of his siblings owners, Millie the other Dapple and Ronnie one of the Choc and tans. Millie we met at our local Daxie meet in Brighton and her owner had been visiting the pups from second week so had seen them much more than we had! After talking to her she said that Minstrel(pic above) was not the mum and that it was a choc and tan girl called Harlow(who apparently is where the longer legs come from) she showed me a pic as well, and she didn't understand why we had been told minstrel was the mum! She had met minstrel and apparently Harlow wasn't letting her near the pups, as would be expected.

I've tried texting the breeder to shed some light on the matter, but she seems to be avoiding me. I also spoke the other owner I'm in contact with and she's in the same boat as us thinking the mum was Minstrel, and she apparently had a denial and then no contact since!

Also since doing more reading about daxie genetics, think I'm right that its probably highly unlikely the 2 parents above would have a complete choc/tan and Choc/dapple litter! (Not 100% sure about that though)

It is a bit of a worry but Jo, Millies owner, has assured us the Mum she saw was healthy and lovely, and Millie is her forth daxie so very experienced owner! They are PRA clear and healthy as can be according to the vet.

Sorry about the essay length reply, just a bit complicated! Not sure what your thoughts are? As long as Coco is happy and healthy that all we care about really!

Hunter's Parade

They obviously lied about their mother.Red is dominant color in dachshunds,after that comes black and tan,and after that choc and tan.If mother would have been red,litter probably would be red/red dapples choc gene carrier,maybe with some choc pup,but that depends on what color is her parents(if one of them would be choc color,it may be she has a recessive choc gene),if she doesn't have choc gene there is no way to get a litter of any choc puppies.
For example my litter,where mum is black&tan and father is choc dapple.Obviously my female doesn't have choc gene so we got only black& tan and black dapple pups who probably carries choc gene.

A little about genes.Lets take black and choc dogs(because I know living examples :D)
B will be black dog and c choc
If mother black BB and father is choc cc there is no way to get any choc pup,because black gene will dominated over choc,so pups will be Bc-black and tan dog who carrie choc gene
If mother is black and tan choc gene carrier Bc and is mated with choc male cc there will be black pups Bc and choc pups cc
If we mate two black choc carrier dogs Bc+Bc there is a possibility of getting choc pup from black parents. My female's parents are both black,but one male in her litter was choc.
That would be the same with red and choc and red and black.
In the end I would say that there is something wrong with your breeder.Why would she need to lie about your pups mother?

COCO

Thanks Hunters, I had a feeling that the genetics were another give away about the parents. I know she's lied but cant for the life of me work out why! If there was that big of a problem with the mum, why would you show one pup's owner and not another??

The only thing I can think of is perhaps Mum wasn't around for some reason, and she wanted the puppies to be seen with a 'Mum' for perspective owners?!?

COCO

...Also Hunters must say I love you Choc Dapple boy! He's gorgeous, never seen a standard choc dapple before....unless mine ends up getting that big!

COCO

just looking at your posts and perhaps he was actually a stud, but either way hes gorgeous!

JPsMOM

Is it possible that something happened to the birth mom recently and the breeder didnt want to tell you because it was a genetic issue? Thats the only thing i can think of. Not cool either way, but that was my first thought. They are beautiful though!

Sent via tapatalk

Nell

Coco is beautiful. I too have never seen a Chocolate dapple standard so he is indeed going to be very unique!

My guess is that there could have been a mistake mating between a standard and a mini, very frowned upon in the UK! She may have lied about the mum because of embarrassment about the mating and the need to find good homes for the pups. I am not excusing her just trying to find a possible explanation.

Either way he is a stunning lad, happy and healthy. I am presuming he is not KC registered so future breeding may not be an option but he certainly will be a stunning pet!

Please keep us posted with photos too, it will be lovely to see what this special lad turns out like :)

Last edited:

COCO

Thank you for all the messages. I think perhaps an issue with the size/length of legs of mum is why, But as long as he's healthy I don't care!

Mini or standard he's such a lovely boy, we couldn't ask for any more!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk