Puppy noise issues

Delarado

Hi Guys!

Proud new owner of a beautiful mini smooth boy here. Today is my 3rd day with him.

I've got him crate trained so far; in so far as he seems to like the crate. He goes in there of his own accord and plays with his toys, chews his chews and bites and pulls at the worn t shirt i leave in there for him.

I realize its only his third day and this is probably completely normal but still thought Id mention it so i know what to expect; he whines a lot.

Not so much that he whines whenever we leave him alone. If he is sleeping, we can put him wherever and he honestly doesn't care where we are. I can walk around the house, bang and clatter around and he opens an eye spots me and just goes straight back to sleep.

However, when he is ready to get up, or a little bit bored - he howls like a banshee. And doesn't stop. I thought he'd get bored after a time, but he doesn't seem to. It starts low and gets louder until we appear. At night we give him a hot water bottle, one of my shirts, a stuffed toy, a chew treat and we leave the radio on. we play with him until he collapses before bed time. He sleeps around 10:30 or 11pm until around 2am, and will then scream until you take him out and do something with him. You play for 30 minutes and he is back to sleep for an hour.

I do not wish for this to become the norm, but if we do not go to him he doesnt stop. The last escapade he started at 3am and went through until 7am. He was in the room with us. We tried talking to him, taking him outside for a pee (Even though he'd done it in his crate) and we tried ignoring him. After two hours of screaming (And being ignored) finally silence. 10 minutes later he started again.

Its strange because I'd of thought if it was just boredom (Which it seems to be) then a toy stuffed with some real chicken pieces or something would keep him amused, but he's not interested. He won't eat a thing when he's like this. However if its anxiety, I'd have thought that he would have it all the time.

Whenever he is tired he likes to fall asleep on your feet. But you can pick him up soon after, put him in his crate on his bed with the door open and walk away. He will turn and look at you, and lay back down. I often lock the door when i put him in and hes not bothered.

A couple hours later though if he can't get out then all hell breaks loose!

What do you think it is, just boredom? is it just a case of waiting it out and it will get better with time?

I will eventually have to leave him (as do we all) for longer periods and i want to make sure he is not too loud or persistent with whining or barking, so i want to start on the right track from now on!

Also as a side question he doesn't go too crazy for food yet. He often just licks up the water ive mixed it with and walks away...

If i crush it up with a spoon he will often eat more and if i put evaporated milk over it (as the breeder suggested) he gets more keen as well.

However, as it is, he probably only eats half a meal, half the time (unless i mash it or put milk on it)

Im giving him 1oz (25g) of Arden Grange puppy food mixed with a little hot water (Allowed to soak and cool down to lukewarm before giving to him)

I am expecting too much for him to be interested in / finish every meal? He is actually quite fat so im not worried he is wasting away, but i want to establish good habits here.

I do not leave the food out and I try to make sure he see's me take it away after about 10 minutes.

Thanks and ill get some pictures up soon!

Last edited:

AnnIe

Hi - it's some time since you posted your query and nobody seemed to reply to you. I wondered how you are getting on with your puppy. I have a 13 week old who raises hell if left downstairs alone - even if I only want to go to the loo! This is at any time we're up and about. At night she settles and sleeps in a dog bed by the side of my own bed. I have a safety gate at the bottom of the stairs as I don't want her getting into the habit of using them and damaging her back.

I've tried the stuffed Kong toy or a variety of tasty treats but as soon as she hears or sees me heading for the stairs she starts whining and barking. It's impossible to wait upstairs until she's quiet as she's gone on for over an hour and well, I have things to do! We start puppy training class tomorrow and she will be able to go out for walks later this week so I'm hoping these things will help.

I'd love to hear if things have improved any for you and how it came about (or not as the case may be!).

kerianne

hi,
have either of you had any luck with you oups sleeping. mine was fine the first week we got her. now she screeches to the pointended I can hear her over the fan iny bedroom down the hall. I live in an apt complex and am always worried someone is going to say something.

Tikki

hi,
have either of you had any luck with you oups sleeping. mine was fine the first week we got her. now she screeches to the pointended I can hear her over the fan iny bedroom down the hall. I live in an apt complex and am always worried someone is going to say something.
Is Rose sleeping in a crate at night, and is the crate in a different room to your bedroom? If so, can you not put her night crate in your bedroom so she does not feel alone? Puppies usually cry at night because they have been taken from their mothers and siblings and a new home is so strange for them. Especially if they are not with you at night.

Tikki

I am not comparing any pups, but I want to say that Tikva slept in a crate in my bedroom with two toys and one worn shirt of mine from when she came here at just three weeks old. She only had just those two small toys and a worn shirt ot mine.

She had to wake me as she was being bottle-fed, but once she was in her night crate she only eep'd when she wanted a bottle or needed a poo. She would pee in her crate but not poo in it.

But I learned pdq what her eeps meant, and she never cried at night for any other reason because she knew she was with me.

Puppies who have just left their dams and their litter mates, will cry because they are lonelyl And oh how they will scream.

They need company - the knowledge that their new family ARE their family. But it is not a magical thing. Slowly slowly, gently gently

Last edited: