Puppy Mill Rescue

emmyloo85

I just visited a Dachshund rescue shelter and met a puppy mill rescued dachshund named Speck. He's been at this location for 3 years and has never had a true home. He seems extremely mellowed out. He doesn't bark and doesn't seem to get excited about anything. I assume he's probably beat down from such a hard life and possibly even a little depressed. I plan to adopt this little dude because I really want to give him a good home. I just wonder, will he brighten up after some time in a loving home? Are there particular things that I could do for him that might help him become a little more thrilled with life? Perhaps this is partly just his personality. He's 6 years old, so I know part of it is due to his age. But he wasn't nearly as lively as some of the other dogs his age at the shelter. Just looking for advice from someone who is experienced in this area. Thanks! :)

Steph

In my experience working with dogs rescued from puppy mills, they don't know how "to be dogs". They've never had the lives a regular dog would have - no human interaction on a regular basis, no toys to play with or people for that matter. These are the guys that are going to take a lot of love and patience to get them to come around. 3 years is a long time to be in rescue, but I'm quite certain that they've started working on the things that I mentioned above.

I don't want to get your hopes up because he may never brighten up or he just might once he's comfortable and into an established routine at home. It's just that I've seen so many well meaning people that rescue a mill dog and when they don't turn out to be the happy tail wagger that they thought they would be, they bring the dog back for one reason or another. I applaud you for wanting to take a guy on with this type of history and I wish all the luck I can, they are tough customers to deal with. BUT like I said, lots of love and patience and he just might become that dog that you can see hiding behind those sad, depressed eyes.

emmyloo85

Thanks for the reply. I have no intention of returning him if his personality doesn't change - I can love him just like he is, and dogs with his background are exactly the reason why I started looking to adopt rather than buying a puppy from someone. I just want to be informed on what to expect and find out ways to help him along if I can.

Inkeri

Good job rescuing. :) I have a rescued 9month old german shepherd mix. He was found wandering the streets in Russia. When he came home with us he didn't know how to play and had issues with food etc.. We've had him for 4 months now and he's amazing! :) He loves ppl and our older dog and he's calmed down a lot. He also loves to play nowadays. ;)

Of course, it's going to be very different and more challenging with your dog coz of his sad background. :( I wish you and Speck all the best and i hope that he'll became a happy little dog. :) His luck has changed now.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I too rescued a puppy mill breeder dog. She was a mess. She literally brought me to tears for most of the first few months I had her, and to this day, I still tear up when she does something new. She was terrified of everything except other dogs. She was so afraid that in the house, if I put her somewhere, she wouldn't move from that spot. She did not know how to play, she did not know how to be a dog. She was a quivering mass of paranoia and fear.

Everything to do with Zoe was not measured in days, or even weeks, we're talking months and years. Now, If I'd'a known then, what I do now, I would have been able to bring her along alot faster, using clickertraining.

Basically, you need to let the dog choose. You cannot force him to do anything.
Zoe learned to ask for things (then to demand them! something I would never accept from any of my other dogs, but it was important for Zoe to learn confidence, and if her telling me to feed her NOW DAMMIT helps her confidence, then so be it!)

Puppy mill dogs need a routine, the same thing every day, at the same time, so they learn what to expect. Keep it positive, and dont push him, just let him become the dog he wants to be.

Zoe is now a normal happy dog, and I cannot believe the difference in her. She is happy, playful, sweet and a very good little girl. She was 1.5 years old when I adopted her, she is now 10 and it's only been in the last couple of years that I could truly say she is normal. She's still a little skittish when around new things, places or people, but she settles and tries new things. She's even learned a few tricks now :)

Good luck!

emmyloo85

Thank you for all of the input, this is very helpful. Speck does not appear to be overly fearful - just sort of disconnected and dreary. I hope that by being loving and playful toward him he will open up and learn to be social and happy. :)

Kitaku

how does he react to other dogs, if he sees another dog or hears one? maybe try (not push) to give him a walk, maybe simply putting a leash on and walking around the yard then the sidewalk. he would be less enclosed in a house maybe. most of all get to know the little guy, try to see if he likes this or that, maybe simply showing him something and make him sniff it see his reaction.

emmyloo85

he was around lots of dogs at the rescue and he seemed pretty laid back around them. I'm getting him Monday, I will try different things and see what he likes/how he reacts. I'm excited!

Doxmom

Lots of good luck, emmyloo. You are doing a wonderful thing - giving Speck a real home with a real Mom. Let us know how it goes..

emmyloo85

I've had Speck for 5 days now and I LOVE him. He is so obedient and he really wants to be loved. He follows me everywhere I go. I just finished doing the dishes and I turned around and he was sitting behind me, staring at me. He is so cute!
He is a happier dog than I thought he would be. He gets very excited to go outside and to be loved on. But he doesn't seem to understand how to play (or maybe he's just not interested. He is 6 years old, maybe that's too old to learn.) He also seems melancholic a lot, which is to be expected. I pay lots of attention to him when I am home, and I can tell he likes it, but he still walks around with his tail between his legs and looks scared to death that I might leave him.
I know all of this is part of getting a puppy mill dog. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of specific things I can do to help him relax. If I could teach him how to play, that may help keep him busy and happy.

Also...I noticed that he seems to have a back problem. It's not something I would have noticed if I hadn't previously owned a dachshund with a back problem (my childhood dachshund had to be put to sleep b/c his back went out and we couldn't afford a surgery).

His back legs seem weak. They aren't always straight when he walks, and when he stands on our hardwood floors they slide out from under him and he doesn't seem to notice (they don't completely slide out from under him, but they are not positioned directly below his body as they should be.)

I haven't taken him to a vet yet, but will very soon. I'm thinking of getting pet insurance in case he has to have surgery. Does anyone know of a good insurance plan that would cover this sort of thing?

koshka

Super Moderator
I've had Speck for 5 days now and I LOVE him. He is so obedient and he really wants to be loved. He follows me everywhere I go. I just finished doing the dishes and I turned around and he was sitting behind me, staring at me. He is so cute!
He is a happier dog than I thought he would be. He gets very excited to go outside and to be loved on. But he doesn't seem to understand how to play (or maybe he's just not interested. He is 6 years old, maybe that's too old to learn.) He also seems melancholic a lot, which is to be expected. I pay lots of attention to him when I am home, and I can tell he likes it, but he still walks around with his tail between his legs and looks scared to death that I might leave him.
I know all of this is part of getting a puppy mill dog. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of specific things I can do to help him relax. If I could teach him how to play, that may help keep him busy and happy.

Also...I noticed that he seems to have a back problem. It's not something I would have noticed if I hadn't previously owned a dachshund with a back problem (my childhood dachshund had to be put to sleep b/c his back went out and we couldn't afford a surgery).

His back legs seem weak. They aren't always straight when he walks, and when he stands on our hardwood floors they slide out from under him and he doesn't seem to notice (they don't completely slide out from under him, but they are not positioned directly below his body as they should be.)

I haven't taken him to a vet yet, but will very soon. I'm thinking of getting pet insurance in case he has to have surgery. Does anyone know of a good insurance plan that would cover this sort of thing?
Hi just wondering how thing are going with your rescue dog? can you post some photos. It's a great story to share with everyone.

Penny

Her last post was Aug 2012. I would love to hear how he's doing!! The last part about his back problem was very concerning. Hoping for some good news and photos too.