Play something besides tug??

JPsMOM

How do you get a pup to play anything other than tug? Jasper has no interest whatsoever in chasing a tossed ball (or balls, period) or any tossed toy at all. Has no interest in tiny hide the coveted object type games... He is instantly "out of sight out of mind". He is either sleeping, eating, or wanting to play tug with a toy. He will do that with great gusto and expend a lot of energy but he is getting so wound up about it that we accidentally (I think) keep getting bitten! My 6 year old won't play with him anymore because of it. The palm of my hand is bleeding right now because he caught the side of it. Why is that all he wants to do? Stopping play when we get nipped does nothing. He continues playing by himself like "oh well! ". We have no way to interact with him unless he is sleeping. :(

Sent via tapatalk

Nell

He certainly sounds an energetic little fellow! I would start some training in earnest before he gets too big for his boots lol!

Training can be fun / play too and the dogs love it. Start when you know he is hungry and have a handful of treats. Oh and make sure there are NO pull toys on the floor to distract him. First he needs to master the basics of sit, stay and come. You need to get his attention (show him the treat) tell him to sit and lift the treat a bit above his head, his bum should then automatically drop (you say sit at the same time) and whoopee he gets the treat!

Dachshunds learn fast and they need their brains occupying as well as exercise otherwise they get bored and naughty. Nipping intentionally or by accident is NOT allowed. They need to know this otherwise a bad habit will start. I have a very disapproving deep growling voice that I use when they have done something bad. I don't shout at them, its all about the tone of your voice rather than the volume, but if I use it my dogs know they are in disgrace and are very ashamed lol! Ignoring them for a couple of minutes also helps, the one thing dachshunds don't like is to be ignored lol!

Lots of walks, love, and a good pack leader and you will have the best friend you ever had!

JPsMOM

Ignoring him doesn't work since lately he has taken to being by himself a lot. He wants us when it is bed time but he would prefer to lay by himself under a bench in the dining room. HE ignores US. Lol I use a growly voice myself but when he is playing it doesnt faze him. He already sits pretty constantly (walk over to you, instantly sit down) so I have trouble teaching him how to do it on cue. He gets too food frantic for "lay down" (the way I have seen deaf dog do it with Mouse... He goes too crazy about the treat).
I can't figure out how to work on stay because of that as well. He goes nuts. I will have to look at what else I could work on with him maybe? That or I am doing it wrong lol. He gets so focused on that treat that I don't exist!

Sent via tapatalk

Last edited:

zaniitee9

I can only agree to Nell that dachshunds has to be kept busy. And they, ok, at least both mine, are really willing to learn. Try some new tricks, beside sitting and coming. I think u should be assiduous and try to get back his attention to you, to become the most important thing for him again.

Penny

I would not do the tug games any more with him. Of course it's not good that you're bleeding, but it's not good for his spine. The trick of roll over, which you see dogs do, are not good for their long spine either.

He so little yet, you might find that the games you tried and he didn't have the focus for, he'll like when he's older.

You can always go to youtube and type in dachshund puppy tricks and see what comes up. I found this one you might enjoy..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcfjdLp93q8

JPsMOM

Got a Holey Ball and filled it with fleece strips... Put some treats in there too... Sort of interested...

Had to share a picture! And I realized I was trying to train him while he was already wound up... Setting him up to fail lol. Waiting until he was more calm yielded much better results. We also sat in a circle and called him to us one by one and requested what we wanted. In this case, lay down or sit. Made him have to focus more on who was going to give the treat, and he didn't automatically sit because he was being attentive.

We have also switched to yelping when he bites. That gets his attention! Thanks for the advice!

Sent via tapatalk

Last edited: