Normal for a puppy?

BBRex

Hello, all. We got our new puppy two and half weeks ago. My wife and I work, and we had to start crating her last week. She goes in at 7:30 a.m., and my wife and I check on her twice during the day, usually at 11 and 2.

She seems to be quiet in the crate. She mostly just sleeps. But she seems upset at us when we let her out. She follows me around or whines when I'm home, but she doesn't want me to be too close. And she won't look at my wife. She seems to be skittish in general. Once she gets tired, she tends to get more snuggly, but still not comfortable. Over last weekend this seemed to stop, but it started again Tuesday.

I run around outside with her after work most nights, as she doesn't seem to want to go for walks (we're starting her training next week). She runs with me in the back yard and sometimes chases a ball. She eats in the afternoon and evening (she hasn't eaten much in the morning since we got her), and I haven't noticed any diarrhea or vomiting. When she's in this mood, though, she tends to pee in the house, even if she's been outside a while.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if this is the breaking in period or should I be more concerned?

vizzla

It may be stress. Crating a dog may cause stressproblems and it can bee all sort of "weard" behaviours.
If you can, could you make a room for her instead of a crate? Glad to hear you check her twice a day at least. I assume you take her outside at these times.

I guess its stress from beeing in a crate.
Hope you find a solution that works for you. Good luck :)

BBRex

She's doing well

Update: So we found a place in Houston called Peace Love and Dogs, and we started taking her to socialization classes there. She also has done a "puppy pre-school" class once a week for a few weeks, and her increased confidence has seemed to help. She still will bark or get upset in the crate sometimes, but she usually calms pretty fast and sleeps.

We also found out that our vet has a doggy day care for $12 a day, so we take her there sometimes, too. They get her out of the crate and play with her at least three times a day. We might start using this service a couple days a week to keep her from being in the crate all week.

We love our little pup and are so happy she's in our home.

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Do you leave the crate door opened when you are home? You will find that not only your pup will learn at these classes. Just make sure everything is positive training. No Cesar Millan style.