New to forums and to owning a Doxi

SarahK

Hi everyone, My name is Sarah I am new to the whole forum thing so sorry if i dont post in the right places! My husband and I just bought a Dachshund on Tuesday this is our first time owning one, his sister and mother both own one and hes absolutely bonkers for them. Our doxis name is Dexter he is a little black and tan. He is 13 weeks. Any tips on house training or crate training or any other tidbits would be really helpful! We are doing as much reading as we can :)

vizzla

My best advice is to let it take time!
I dont like keeping dogs in a crate but if you do, lay one of your used t-shirts in there. That calms our dog. Dont let him be alone untill he can handle it. First months its just leaving him for a sec ant then come in again, leave him and go to the other room. I use small fence to keep him from following me around the house. Our dog is now tre years old and he cant handle more than 3 hourse alone. Thats his limit, so we have dogwatchers during our working hours.

As to the pottytraining. Always ignore accidents inside. Take him outside after eating, playing, sleeping and stay outside for as long has he needs to go. Then praise and go inside. First weeks just keep him around your house/yard. He will have enought smells to get used to :) After a month or so you can start taking him for walks around the area where you live :)

Good luck with you new boy and love to see som pixs :)

Welcome to the forum

/Sofia and Alf from Sweden

Inkeri

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)
Congrats on the new baby!! I have never crate-trained, so I have no advice on that and I think Vizzla nailed it there with the potty-training. :)

Good luck and enjoy the puppy-time!

vizzla

And.... remember there can be accidents after the puppy gets housebroken to. I have read that when they get to 7-9 months old they can start peeing inside again, thats normal and will stop to if you keep up the training. Have a lot of patiens! :)

SarahK

:)

Thanks for the advice guys! I found a few little tricks that seem to be helping him crate train at night. He has a nice size crate that he doesn't go to the bathroom in at all. He knows its his bed. I actually do what Vizzla recommended with the shirt. The first night he was home I took out one of my husbands old flannels and we rubed it all over our faces and arms then put it in the crate, he rolled around in it and frequently curls up in it. Anyway back to the things I found that work. If I pull the crate next to the bed and drape my arm down so he can still see/smell it he doesn't get nearly as worked up, and only whines instead of barking like a maniac. (His barks and wines when you leave him alone make it sound like we're beating him!its awful!)he settles down quickly. I also found I can coax him in easy if I put a heating pad over his bed pad for a little while then place the pad inside after it has warmed up. Potty training is going better we bought one of those indoor grass patches to get him used to going to the bathroom outside. Currently if you bring him out in the grass he just cries and won't go no matter how long you stay out for. He was reluctant at first to use the patch but seems to have taken to it. We give him tread whenever he uses the patch and lots of praise.