New to forum with food question.

dinneylann

Hi! Just found this forum today! We have 2 males, Chip, a 2yo brown doxie and Mickey, a 7yo black doxie. I'm sitting here with a huge smile on my face looking at all of the pictures posted here!! Thanks! :p:D

Penny

Hello and welcome! Glad you found us! I hope you can figure out how to post pics soon.
What is your food question??

dinneylann

oops! I forgot to ask the food question. I've been researching food and came across Costco brand Kirkland's canned food. Has anyone tried this? Thanks so much!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I didn't know kirkland had a canned food... I'd be curious to see the ingredients. The dry food isn't bad for a person on a budget, though I won't feed it, personally.

For canned foods, I feed Fromm and First Mate. I also feed dehydrated raw foods (rehydrated prior to feeding) for a "wet" food

None of the other canned foods fit the criteria I have for pet foods.

HilyBee

Welcome! :D Do you have pics of your two? If you can't tell, we LOVE to share pics. lol

I have tried the canned food and had luck with it. We can only find the canned food here oddly enough and not the dry food. We feed Nutro Heathly Choice (I think that's the full name) puppy blend for our lil' guy but he on special occasions gets the Kirkland canned food. It does pretty well for him, but I don't recommend for daily feeding (maybe a couple times at most a week). He gets super smelly after eating it and it's a bit fatty.

The Dog Food Advisor (love this site!) gave it 3.5 stars. :)

dinneylann

I'm thinking of trying the canned food because my black 7 yo doesn't have much interest in eating, but he will eat the canned stuff. I think I'll try mixing the canned with the dry and see how it goes.

Penny

Have you tried putting some water in the kibble and microwaving 10 seconds? Sometimes that's all that's needed. Or, try changing the protein source. If they are eating chicken, get another protein as the first ingredient. Be sure not to give people food too, because that can make them picky eaters.

HilyBee

Adding at most a Tablespoon of water and microwaving to my 1/2 c. of dry food usually works great on the days when my little guy is being picky and stubborn. Especially when he smells the cat's canned food (she gets canned once a week). lol

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I always float my dogs kibble in hot water, then let it cool a bit before feeding (Floating means to put enough water in so the kibble starts to float) Though my dogs aren't the least bit picky :)