New to Dachshunds and forum

Starfish1987

Hi, my name is Lisa and I just joined because I am going to be the new mommy to a Dachshund puppy on May 28th. I joined because not only am I new to the breed, I am new to puppies altogether. My boyfriend has had a Dachshund puppy before, so he is here to help me. I just felt the need to join a forum on all you veteran owners for experienced advice. My little girl, Daenarys will be 6 weeks when we get her. I am an avid animal lover, so any advice on the best for my little girl will be appreciated!

Starfish1987

In more detail, I'm wanting to know the best puppy food, toys, beds, and just overall care for my little one. My boyfriend and I both work for a chain of convenience stores called QuikTrip(those who live in the areas of it know it well) and with our schedules, the only two days our little girl won't be with us is Sunday and Monday evening. We plan on gating her in our kitchen/bathroom area(tiled) with puppy pads and when we are asleep we have an ajoined bathroom(tiled) to our bedroom where we will put puppy pads there for her and will leave her access to us in bed, which also has steps for her. I want to avoid kenneling her as much as possible, at least until she is fully outside potty trained. So, like I have said, any stories of experience would be much appreciated.

sbarne3

Hi Lisa. I just have a couple of thoughts/suggestions for you.
You said that you want to avoid kenneling her as much as possible. I am assuming that you mean you don't want to leave her in the crate, correct?
I suggest reading the information at this link (Useful Information).
It is on a Schnauzer website, but the information applies to all breeds. In addition to general care of a puppy it explains how the puppies see the crate as a good thing (it makes them feel safe).

I am also a little concerned that you are bringing your puppy home at 6 weeks. A responsible breeder would not let a puppy go before 8 weeks (and sometimes longer). They learn critical things from their mother and littermates starting at week 6. Also they need that additional time to mature emotionally so that they are ready to leave their mother.

I brought Odie (my 16 year old) home too soon and it was not fun. He missed his mother terribly and cried all the time.

Penny

Hi Lisa! Welcome from Canada!

I am very concerned as well that a breeder will let the puppy go at 6 weeks. That is the time they learn bite inhibition from their litter mates. If you've already left a payment with the breeder, can you ask to have the pup stay with the litter longer? Hopefully all the pups can stay another 2 weeks at least.

nola

Welcome. :)

I too am concerned that they're letting the puppy go that early. Maybe you should look into a different breeder?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Welcome to the forum!

I've never had a young puppy either (though I've fostered them) but crate training is a good thing, done properly, and will keep the puppy (who will be into EVERYTHING) safe from harm when you can't watch her, or aren't home.

As for food, I am a bit of a pet food snob, I don't believe in feeding anything made by large corps, or anything that's made in a factory not owned by the owner of the pet food. (canned food is the exception, as I believe only Fromm makes their own canned food)

I will feed Fromm, Horizon, Orijen, Acana, First Mate, The Honest Kitchen, raw, and scraps. My dogs and cats get a variety, as I certainly wouldn't want too eat the same thing day after day, and I also don't think it's all that good for dogs to only eat one kind of food (a good way to develop allergies, and to cause a sensitive digestive system) So my dogs (and my cat) get something different every meal.

Feeding canned food is not bad, like people will tell you, a quality canned is just as good for a dog as a quality dry, so you don't have to be stuck on finding a dry food only. The whole good for teeth thing is a myth, dry food does not make better dental health. the only thing that're good for teeth are bones and brushing (I feed my doxies raw chicken necks, backs and drumsticks once a week or so for dental health)

As for housetraining... be prepared to be patient! Keep it positive, and ignore the accidents. it could take awhile... doxies are notoriously hard to housetrain!

Starfish1987

I was kind of concerned about getting her that young as well, but my friend that I am getting her from already had plans to go out of town before he even knew his dog was having puppies. His mom is watching the mother and father, but said she doesn't move around well enough to care for 2 dogs and 7 puppies. She will be almost 7 weeks when we get her. If I had a choice, I would have her stay with mom as long as she needed.

As for potty training, I know it takes time and patience. I have my boyfriend to help me teach her, so will just go with the flow.

As for the dog food, where would you get these natural brands you are speaking of?

Thanks for all the advice!

sherlock

Hello and welcome from TX!

We actually brought Dr. Watson home when he was only about 5 weeks! Very very early, but he did fine and he's fine now, knows how to socialize with other dogs, etc.

Housetraining - you say you're prepared to be patient...good. Watson is over a year old and just recently got *fully* housetrained. (Before that he knew that he was supposed to go outside, but would often have accidents because he wouldn't let us know he needed to go out.)

And for dog food - pet stores! Pretty much no grocery stores carry quality dog food. We do feed Watson a grocery store food, Rachel Ray's brand Nutrish. It's not one of the best foods out there, of course, but corn isn't the very first ingredient like on most foods. And he usually gets some scraps when I make dinner, if only just cause he's so cute when he dances around my feet while I'm cooking :)

Starfish1987

This is the litter of puppies my little Daenerys is coming from. She's in the top left corner of mom's back. They're enjoying a nice nap after playtime. :)

Attachments

Starfish1987

And he usually gets some scraps when I make dinner, if only just cause he's so cute when he dances around my feet while I'm cooking :)
It's so hard to deny those cute faces of indulging. My boyfriend's parents have his dachshund now. They fostered him and grew attached and now we can't take Woody from them. But he is the master of coning table scraps with his cute, sad face. Now he looks like a little beenie weenie sausage with legs. They had to put him on a diet. lol

Starfish1987

I also just asked my friend the date of birth of the puppies and it was 4/6/13. We will be getting her on May 28th, so she will be 4 days away from being 8 weeks.

sherlock

It's so hard to deny those cute faces of indulging. My boyfriend's parents have his dachshund now. They fostered him and grew attached and now we can't take Woody from them. But he is the master of coning table scraps with his cute, sad face. Now he looks like a little beenie weenie sausage with legs. They had to put him on a diet. lol
Yup!!! He only gets one or two bites, and usually not every night. It also depends on what we're eating, how it's seasoned (nothing too spicy for his little belly!), etc. I try to keep him pretty trim, I know how easy it is for doxies to get fat, and there is nothing cute about an obese dog.

garyd

My wieners love their crate. (They are mini's and share) When they aren't in it we leave the door open. They will often choose it over the couch for an afternoon nap. They feel safe and secure there.

Starfish1987

I definately plan on getting her a kennel, I just don't want to leave her in it when we are not here. I will make sure she has a doggie bed and plenty of toys to keep her company. I would like to make her bed more of a "crate" as you call it and the kennel more as a potty training tool. But we shall see how it works out.

HilyBee

I definately plan on getting her a kennel, I just don't want to leave her in it when we are not here. I will make sure she has a doggie bed and plenty of toys to keep her company. I would like to make her bed more of a "crate" as you call it and the kennel more as a potty training tool. But we shall see how it works out.
What I have always done with my little dachshunds is: use the crate as a safe place while we are not home (no longer than three hours until they are 6+ mo. old, longer once they are older); once they are one year old I begin training them to stay alone in a "dog proofed" bedroom outside of the crate IF they want to. Which mine have always enjoyed the option. I usually keep the crate in the room with the door open so they have the option to go in and out. This has always worked very well with me and any dogs I have. Once they are completely potty trained then I let them have the whole house while I'm gone. :) It takes a while for them to earn the whole house trust so it's a treat for them and me.

sherlock

What I have always done with my little dachshunds is: use the crate as a safe place while we are not home (no longer than three hours until they are 6+ mo. old, longer once they are older); once they are one year old I begin training them to stay alone in a "dog proofed" bedroom outside of the crate IF they want to. Which mine have always enjoyed the option. I usually keep the crate in the room with the door open so they have the option to go in and out. This has always worked very well with me and any dogs I have. Once they are completely potty trained then I let them have the whole house while I'm gone. :) It takes a while for them to earn the whole house trust so it's a treat for them and me.
This is what we have been doing lately! Watson is allowed to hang out outside of his crate (we leave it open, but he doesn't really go in there.) He goes in when we both go to bed...honestly I think he could stay out, but I'm mainly worried about him having to potty before we wake up, and just going on the floor.

He's also allowed to stay out when we're gone if it's not for very long (going to the store, etc.) If we're going to be gone for an extended time (which usually doesn't happen) he goes in the crate. It's been working out very very well for us!

Hayleysmom

Crate training can be a lot of work. I am crate training my little hayley and she does not like it, she'd rather sleep with me. I did find covering her crate to make it more of a "cave" helped soothe her whining. I also tell her "quiet" and she gets the hint about 80% of the time. Its still a work in progress.

I probably let her roam more than I should, but I hate having to have her crated so many hours in the day. The only time she is in her crate is if she does not go potty outside when I take her, when I have to go somewhere that she can not go, or at night (sometimes :p I can't help but wanna snuggle her).