New Puppy

Lex_Knice

Hi All,
I have a two year old mini dachshund whom has been are baby for the past two years. We are currently considering getting another one and are having mixed feelings. Our biggest concern is that Lucy (our current dog) and the new pup won't get along. Any thoughts, comments, insight on this?

Thanks!

Tikki

Hi All,
I have a two year old mini dachshund whom has been are baby for the past two years. We are currently considering getting another one and are having mixed feelings. Our biggest concern is that Lucy (our current dog) and the new pup won't get along. Any thoughts, comments, insight on this?

Thanks!
Two things to think about. Firstly, has Lucy been spayed? If she has not and you get a male puppy, please be aware that he can father puppies from when he is four months old.

The second thing - if you get another bitch, quite frequently two of the same sex do not get on. They might do initially, especially if the older one has been spayed, but if you do what I have always recommended in a bitch that you do not intend to breed from, is to wait three months after the first season, their behavior should carry on as before. [Unless it is a large breed in which case much later spaying is recommended or neutering is recommended in order for their weight-bearing legs to fully develop].

I had no problem when I brought my previous puppy home, my other girl was getting a bit elderly and had been long spayed, and they were the best of friends, but once the new puppy came into her first season the older one was terrified of her. Even after the new one was spayed she hated her to the extent that I had to keep the younger one on her tether, which was not long enough for her to get in my bedroom, while my first girl spent most of the time on my bed - except when she needed to go out for a pee, And yet they both slept on my bed with me, albeit on different sides! But I could never take them both out together together for walks, and when they both went out into the yard for a pee or a poo, the older one would shoot straight indoors to get away from the evil one - who never did a thing to harm her.

My little Tikva was spayed before her first season on the recommendation of her Vet, but only when he decided she weighed enough. And that was because the only way she can go out is in my unfenced front yard, and there are too many loose and dumped dogs around.