New Puppy, New owner of dogs

Debra

My daughter was given a puppy dachshund. The pup was going well going on the wee wee pads placed. Now she seems to go off the pads and we are confused because sometimes she uses the ones we lay out and sometimes not. Also I think my daughter made a mistake in leaving the pup to sleep with her. The pup has not had “accidents” on the bed and sleeps all night but when we leave house and she is put in crate she cries and whines all the time so I think my daughter started a bad habit of her being out not in the crate.
Pup is 3 months old is it too late to put her back in crate while we are home and stop her from sleeping with my daughter? The crate is next to her bed and yes the pup goes in it for her toys and treats and when we leave house but at night no and when we are home she is out with my daughter in her room and mine. She cries and whines in the crate and has no off switch that I can see.
Thanks

Jaimie

You can still crate train them, it will be a challenge but not impossible. You are going to have to stay strong through the crying. A suggestion is to have yourself or your daughter sleep on the floor by the cage to help or put the cage on the bed at night and have the pup sleep in there.

She is associating the crate with you guys leaving, that is what I'm seeing from what you have said so try to have her in there while you are home as well. It doesn't have to be for long periods. Just enough so she doesn't see it as a place she goes and left alone.

Personally my pup slept with me but was crates during the day which seemed to work for her. These breeds are extremely hard to housetrain and you have to be consistent.

Bring her outside after she eats, plays, wakes up and tell her to go potty (or whatever your word it) and praise her with a treat when she does. They don't see the need to eliminate outside and many times will just go when the urge hits them. I've had many dogs in my life and this breed so far is the most challenging in that area.

Best of luck