new puppy and senior dog

Barron

Well my Barron passed away...after 15 years. His sister is still with me, but yesterday I brought home a new puppy ! The new puppy is so excited, and my other Doxy is also 15. The new puppy keeps knocking her down.
Decision: new puppy is on trial basis...thoughts please. Anyone have experience with this?

GJBain

Well my Barron passed away...after 15 years. His sister is still with me, but yesterday I brought home a new puppy ! The new puppy is so excited, and my other Doxy is also 15. The new puppy keeps knocking her down.
Decision: new puppy is on trial basis...thoughts please. Anyone have experience with this?
I would keep them kind of seperated and/or with close supervision at the very least until the puppy gets out of the puppy stage.

JennyDox

Doxie Newbie
We are going through something similar. We brought home Bama last night, my 4 month old Doxie puppy, and our Mo is an older Pom-Chi. So far, Bama has pestered the stew out of Mo, but Mo has shown him that he doesn't like it. No bites, but some baring of teeth and some growling. So far, Bama is submitting and trying to calm down. I think it is going pretty smoothly. I hate seeing Mo upset, but I think they will adjust to one another. I hate that your older girl is being knocked down.

Penny

My condolences on the loss of Barron.
With a 15 year old in the house, maybe adopting an adult from rescue (or a breeder who wishes to retire a female) would have been a better choice. I am saying this while we have a 4 month old in the house. Our 7 year old girl now has a play buddy and our 13 year old fella is happy to go into the crate when the puppy is running around.

Some years back we had an older male and adopted an adult girl from a breeder, and that was perfect. She loved on the older guy and cuddled him, and he was so much more content with a buddy. She figured out that he was an old guy and she was very gentle and loving toward him.

What ever you decide is up to you. Our best wishes as you figure it out.

Dobe Dash

I have a 11 year old Doberman and brought home a 8 week old miniature Dachshund puppy the Dobe is male the Dachshund is female right at first I made sure the puppy did not over whelm the old dog kept them separated, slowly let them be together now the play like crazy. Still have to separate them if the pup gets too bittey on the Dobe's hocks just have to watch them. Good Luck