aniskandar

Hi Everyone,

My name is Anna. I recently adopted a dachshund from the shelter. They said that she is about 1 years old and that she was abandon by her previous owners in the dog park.

This is the first time having a dog. I live with my boyfriend, but he is always flying for work. So it's just me and Mocha (the dachshund).

I found out that she is very clingy. I had to babysit for a friend today and Mocha can't stop barking at the 1 year-old, and at certain point she growled too. But she did not bite the kid. I was wondering if there's any way for me to get her used to the kid without growling? I don't want to leave her in the crate or outside, because she might hate the kid more and end up biting the kid.

amparra

Welcome! Thanks for rescuing, I rescued my dachshund also.

What I would do is keep Mocha near you on a leash so she can't get to the baby. Have treats in your pocket and reward her when she is not growling/barking at the baby and when she is ignoring the baby. I would also teach her the "watch me/look at me" command so you can break her focus off the baby and have her focus on you. Basically you hold a treat near your eye and give the command, when she makes eye contact with you, give her a treat. Don't make her hold the eye contact for too long at first or you will lose her attention, you can build up to longer periods over time.

These exercises will help her build positive associations with the baby's presence.

When she is more reliable around kids you can have them toss treats to her from a safe distance.

Nell

Hi and welcome from the UK!

Rescuing a dog can be so rewarding, one of mine is a rescue dachshund x border terrier he was dumped at twelve weeks. Its always good to hear when these dogs get a second chance to be loved.

If your little one is a year she may not have had any interaction with children / babies before and the different noises etc can unsettle them.

The baby and dog should NEVER be left alone together as she is clearly giving you signs she is not comfortable. She needs to be introduced very slowly so she feels safe and comfortable around the baby. The "look at me command" will help a lot in refocusing her attention and help her to gain confidence and feel less intimidated.