New Member from So.Cal

PamB.

Hi , my name is Pam and I have a new rescue dog that is a doxie...He was found wandering the street in Lake Hughes here and it was a busy street full of bikers...
The dog when found was scared , thin, not fixed, no chip , no collar , Nothing..So I have had a very scared little dog for a little over 3 months now.
I have since taken him in to be fixed , chipped and shots..The thing is ,he is still a very traumatized little dog,he has behaviors that I have to figure out how to stop !! He barks and growls at everyone except me!
I am the only person he likes !! I have never seen anything like it! He immediatley picked me as soon as he came into the house..(My boyfriend found him and brought him to me) BTW He hates my boyfriend and everyone else!!!
I have small Grandchildren and recently my oldest Grandson(16) was here for a couple of days and he (Jet) wanted to attack him.....Growing and barking and jumping at him!!
Now around me ,when I am alone with him,he acts like a normal young dog,playing rolling on his back wanting his tummy rubbed..Its like he is a Jekel and hyde ...???? Is he nuts?? I love him and really want to keep him but I need some help...This is not normal behavior...:eek::confused:

Last edited:

crystalclear1027

Welcome from Pennsylvania!!!! He does sound like he is traumatized and afraid. It sounds like he has trust issues, maybe you can take him to a small dog class and have someone help you with these issues. I feel bad for you and him. He can learn how to trust again!!!

jarredfeet

Hello and welcome Pam, thank you for rescuing a doggie. A tip to socialize him with human, let others feed and give him treat, it may take long but soon he will realize it fun hanging out with others. I agree with an obedience training so you have guide on socializing him. He might had bad experience so friend human and dog interaction can greatly help build confidence.

Nell

Hi Pam and welcome from the UK!

Food really is your best friend with dachshunds it can win over even the most stubborn of hearts!

It does sound as though this little one is traumatised so plenty of patience and understanding is going to be your key. In the meantime it is really important that he isn't further traumatised so you need to take complete control of every situation.

If I were you I would ask your boyfriend to feed him at all meals, you can still do the cuddling and fun bits etc.

As far as the children are concerned (I too have four grandchildren) this really is a bit of a worry but it is manageable! He must NEVER be left alone with the children, he is unreliable at the moment and may attack because he is scared. Can you make a safe place for him in the house for times when you cannot oversee what is happening? as he is scared this will help him to feel safe while he gets used to the noises etc.

Ask the children to ignore him, if he approaches for a sniff ask them to just stand still or maybe they could throw a treat in his direction from a safe distance. Taking him for a walk with the children (whilst he is on a safe lead) will also help, he will not be 100% focused on the kids and get used to being in their company.

I do not tolerate any form of aggression towards people with my dogs (even resource guarding) it just isn't safe when there are children around. I feel it is my job to keep everyone safe, so if the dog shows any signs of dominance, growling or intimidating they are firmly (the dog I mean) told NO and removed from the situation. I do not hit them or scream at them but they do know from the tone of my voice that I am not impressed!

I am so pleased you have a rescue, I have a rescue dachshund cross, I do wish you luck and hope things work out it sounds like this one has really fallen on his feet!