New Doxie owner from California

scootaloo84

Hello all,

I am a new dachshund owner from California. I have a pedigreed Minature Black and Tan dachshund from a reputable breeder.

I am having trouble in paradise though. My new puppy whom I've only had for about a week has started to chew on everything. I'm quite okay with puppy chewing I know that is something that is normal for them and is a phase. However, he has taken to getting aggressive with me and my husband and biting/growling at us. I'm sure he's trying to play but whenever I say no to him for anything he looks at me like I have rocks in my head then continues what he's doing or immediately starts doing some other destructive thing. At 8 weeks old I was not expecting this kind of destruction. If he's bored then please give me some advice on how I can curb this behavior.

Also, when he's not being destructive, he is sleeping at my feet or in my lap. I would much prefer this kind of behavior. I think he may have extra energy to get out and that's where the destruction is coming from. Any tips or tricks to stopping this? I am with him all day every day except for the 2 days a week I go to school.

piper

a tired dog is a well behaved dog

Give that little one more play time and exercise. Doxies are very smart and it seems you have one that is thinking over time. But know that a 8 weeks, he knows nothing really , you need to teach him. Start with playing with a small toy, between you and you husband, and make him run back and forth to get it. And applaud when he gets it. NO, is learned over time, it takes time, 8 weeks is very young to know anything. If he growls, gasp loudly! Then say no. It takes time. And play biting is normal at that age, if it concerns you though, just remove your hand and walk away. The dog will learn over time you are not interested in that type of play. Also, for now, give plenty of chew toys that were meant to be chewed. Most pups chew things well until they are two, but tire of it, but give him antler bones and things he can chew without too much distruction. Best advice, in a few months, take him for puppiy training as it seems you don't have this experience. Doxies grow to be the best mate you can ever have, but they have their own minds and wills just like your husband! Have patience, give love to that little one, it is just a baby.

Nell

Hi and welcome from the UK!

I agree with Piper. Dachshunds are very intelligent they need their brains to be kept occupied or they get naughty!

Kongs are good and make sure he has plenty of chews / toys that he is allowed to chew. He is still very much a baby and needs to learn everything but aggression is not allowed, you need to be in charge from day one.

Good luck with your new baby, you have some wonderful fun times ahead!

Ajraffa

New Owner
I'm trying to clicker train our new dox and from what I've read, the best way to encourage behavior you like is with the click and treat method.
Since Olli has been home (today is day 3!) we have made a point to click and treat when she is exhibiting behavior we like. For instance when she's quiet when someone comes to the door, when she's sitting nicely at our feet, when she's chewing on her own toys she gets a click and a piece of hotdog (irony).
Too soon to tell if it works, but from what I've read it's a great way to reinforce good behavior. Just a thought!

jarredfeet

Welcome, you already got good advices from above and wanted to justify you have to drain most of his energy through lots of might and body stimulating exercise.