New dachshund owner looking for advice!

Caitlyn1269

Hi there! I am a new dachshund owner and new to this fourm. My dogs name is Raylan and he is a 10 week old male mini dachshund. I owned previous dogs but not a dachshund. I am having a very hard time crate training Raylan. I introduced it very positively to him, toys, treats, playing in the crate, ect. I got Raylan at 8 weeks old and every night since has been a struggle. When it's time to go to bed and I put him in the crate, next to my bed, and he will bark the entire night. I'm looking for some advice on this. Thanks!

GJBain

Hi there! I am a new dachshund owner and new to this fourm. My dogs name is Raylan and he is a 10 week old male mini dachshund. I owned previous dogs but not a dachshund. I am having a very hard time crate training Raylan. I introduced it very positively to him, toys, treats, playing in the crate, ect. I got Raylan at 8 weeks old and every night since has been a struggle. When it's time to go to bed and I put him in the crate, next to my bed, and he will bark the entire night. I'm looking for some advice on this. Thanks!
We crate ours during the day and she is no problem. Ours is spoiled though she sleeps in bed with us. :D

Hunter's Parade

Can't image how are you sleeping and how can you stand that...
Why do you want to crate train him?He probably wants to sleep in bet with you.I have 4 dachshund,but it's hard to help you,all of mine sleep in bed and are using crate only during exhibitions.Try harder.Put him in there for a nap during the day,take him for a long walk,do something active before you put him for the night.If he has energy to bark all night he is not tired.Give him something to do,so he is tired,feed him and put in the carte,he will be tired,his tummy will be full,he should sleep.

BelowHylan

This happened to me as well when I got Zoya at 8 weeks. I bought a doggie play pen and she was fine in there, its much bigger and had enough room for a puppy pad. Once she got a bit older (and chewed through the play pen, lol) she was fine in the crate too.. I think part of the crying i the beginning was because she was missing her siblings and mom. I do like the fact that she is crate trained now, although I know people have different opinions on this. At night she will sometimes sleep in the crate and sometimes (often) when I fall asleep watching TV she will sleep with me on the couch. Whenever I leave the house she is crated and she is perfectly fine with it.

vizzla

He wants to be with his pac. If you really want him to stay locked up during night its just puting up with it untill he gives up.
I suggest just have a nice dogbed instead and let him sleep there next to your bed. They are often sad at first. You need to put up with that. Just ignore. Put a T-shirt of yours in the bed, so they feel safe..

My two sleeps with me.