New Dachshund Mom

Hayleysmom

Hello all,

Today I brought home my 3rd dog, but my very first dachshund. I have a 2yr old french bulldog named duke, a 9 months german shepherd named lexi and now an 8 week old mini dachshund named hayley. I have done all my research on each of my dogs prior to settling on their breeds, but I love learning more.

Here are a few pictures of hayley from her breeders picture collection. :D

I am in love with her!

Attachments

Penny

Wonderful! Congratulations!
Glad you can join us.
I've had dachshunds for a very long time. Somehow I've ended up with 3 currently. How did that happen? lol

Looking forward to a lot more photos and hearing stories about the mischief she gets into.

Hayleysmom

I have tons of my other pups. Hayley is already spoiled. I can not be more than 12 inches away from her or she'll cry her eyes out :rolleyes: she is definitely a ball of love! I did have her sleep with me, shared my pillow. I am pretty sure this how its going to be forever lol

Attachments

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Awe she's absolutely adorable! and so are your other dogs :) and yes, they MUST sleep on the bed! preferrably under the covers! LOL

nola

Your Frenchie is so darn cute! I want to rescue one some day.

Of course they must share the bed! Nola insisted on it, and has slept in bed every night since she was 8 weeks old (she's 2 1/2 now).

Hayleysmom

Frenchies are great, but my frenchie has medical issues. He has an elongated palette, so when he gets overly excited it swells up restricting his airway causing him to throw up thick saliva like foam and sometimes collapsing in general as if he was passing out. We sought two opinions from two different vets about surgery, but the odds are 50/50. Our home is active and the poor guy has to hang out in kitchen where he can rest and get a normal amount of activity since he does have high energy. Luckily my brother, who has no kids and no other dogs is going to take him into his household so he can live a quiet life.

When you do look into rescuing a frenchie do your research, our vet couldn't tell alone that he had an elongated palette until we described the symptoms. He's on a grain free diet which has helped him a lot, but the problem is when he's around other dogs or kids that make him overly excited. He just turned two this past October and the issue didn't show up till he was around 1 1/2 years. I've had him since he was 8 weeks. Its frustrating because his breeder was a horrible person for breeding his parents as this is all genetic. In any case, his story has a happy ending. My brother was going to take him last summer, but I couldn't let him go. As the days go on it hurts me to see him limited to the kitchen and back yard. He is otherwise a happy guy, healthy aside from what he inherited, and really adorable in person. Everyone who meets him, loves him. :)