New - 4 dogs including Doxie mix

NalaOscar

Hi. We are new to the group. My husband, 3 youngest children (age 9), and I currently have 4 dogs. Honey is a Sheltie and sweet as sweet can be! Lance is a blue chihuahua and was very, very jealous of the Doxie babies until recently. The 'babies' are Dox-Chihuahua mix. They are brother and sister, red, 6 months old, and just adorable!

We have never had a doxie in the family before so we are learning daily. Nala von Weinerschnitzel (Nala) is very mild-mannered, but playful. She looks mostly doxie to me, but shows more of the chi physical characteristics than her bro - such as light markings on her face. Oscar M. Weiner (Oscar) is red with a bit of black on his tail, etc. He is a big-time talker!

Is the 'talking' common in doxies? We think it is hilarious! If anyone other than our son (his favorite person) picks Oscar up, he immediately starts talking about it. He also complains and sometimes even screams at anyone at the vet's office. Oscar loves to run & play, loves to relax on the couch, and gets very involved in watching television - especially if is a dog on the program. Seriously.

Nala is a sweetheart and has more of the 'typical' dog personality.

Last month at the vet's office, they weighed 7 lbs. I'm guessing they weigh between 8-9 lbs now. When will their growth be complete?

Lou Ellen

Doxmom

Hi, Lou Ellen~

Welcome to the forum. Wow - that's quite a nice group of pups you have! And what cute names for your doxies.

Since I'm very new to the breed as well, the experts will respond to your questions. But I can tell you that I've had dogs my whole life, and my doxie is the sweetest most affectionate little boy ever!

Post pics soon!

Jackson

Welcome to the forum. I am no expert either concerning the weight of your dogs. Do you have a photo of them?

nola

Hi and welcome! Sounds like you've got a fun bunch. Would love to see pictures:D
All the Doxies I've had (5, I currently have 4) have been very talkative, but none more so than Nola, my little mini.
If they're 6mo old now and weigh 7lbs I'd put them at around 11-13lbs full grown, which should be around 16-18 months once they're done filling out. Nola, 8lb mini, was 5lbs at 6 months.

jax's_mommy

Hello and welcome! Sounds like a great bunch of pups! Would love to see pictures!

I'm not much of an expert on the estimating the weights for when theyre full grown..

My little boy is 14 weeks old and weighs about 6-8lbs (i think anyway, not positive yet)