Mats on my long haired.

sherlock

So Watson picked up some fleas while on his doggy-cation. We immediately gave him a flea bath and put some drops down his back, but he's still been scratching/chewing on himself a lot (I check him every time I seem him itching - I don't see any bugs, so I guess it's just from where they were biting him?)

Anyway, he's gotten the fur on his back legs all matted. Brushing helps some, but I can't get him to sit still very long. Should I just cut the mats off? I also have some human hair detangler, I was wondering if you guys thought that might be safe? (It's the kid kind.)

I just hate it when his hair isn't pretty!!!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Awe poor you! I hate it when my dogs aren't pretty too! though with the three I have now, I don't have a problem LOL

I guess it would depend on how many mats he has, and how goofy he's look if you cut them off, but it might be a good time to work on training him to sit still for brushing :)

I don't know that I'd use detangler on him often, but I don't think it would hurt him this once :)

crystalclear1027

haircut

I would take him to the groomers. They will do a great job trimming and brushing him. He will eventually like going to the groomers and gat use to it.

Inkeri

You could try cutting the mats in half. That would make it easier to brush, but won't leave a hole. :) I'd also try the detangler.

sherlock

Well he just had to get yet another bath (to reapply the flea drops because I got it mostly on his fur yesterday, not on his skin.) I realized that the mats on his ears and the under-ear fur was caused by him rubbing his head on the floor, trying to dry off. I had to cut a few of the big ones off of his ears, and I'll try to brush out his legs tomorrow.

He is so itchy and miserable and I feel terrible!!!

sherlock

The mats on his "fur pants" on his back legs have just gotten worse and worse, I think I'll have to just cut them off :( I hope it all grows in the same!!!

HilyBee

awww! :( Mats are no fun. Our first doxie LOVED to roll around all the time so he would mat so easily. We kept certain areas that matted the worst trimmed to prevent it as much as possible.

When he did get mats, I would get teeny bit of leave in conditioner for dogs or (organic leave in conditioner from the store) then apply to the mats. I let it sit for about 10 minutes before touching. I would then gently work out the mats with a brush. Worked every time for us. :)

sherlock

I'll remember that for next time! The ones on his legs were just out of control, so today DH trimmed them off (the mats, not his legs ;) ) and gave him an all-over brushing. Luckily he was able to brush the mats out a little bit, so he doesn't have bald spots all over!

HilyBee

Yeah, if they get too bad there isn't much you can do but to trim them off. :) Healthier for their skin that way but not prettier! lol

We "treated" his mats up to three times a week with the conditioner sometimes. He also had very dry skin so the vet recommended the treatments initially for his whole body, but then for the mats.