Knuckling Over/Angular Limb Deformity/ Carpal Hyperextension

SamAndMonty

Hello everyone!

I am hoping someone can help and has experience of what i am going through. My puppy Monty is 10 weeks old today and we picked him up 10 days ago from a reputable KC breeder.

Within a couple of days of Monty coming home we noticed he had a funny foot, it doesn't hurt him at all but it bends under. On the 5th day of having him he was due at the vets for his second jabs and initial check over and she didn't notice anything wrong with his limbs. On Sunday i happened to be in Pets At Home and the in-house vet spotted his foot and asked if we had seen anyone about it. To cut a long story short, he went back to our vet yesterday and she said that its an "Angular Limb Deformity" but he would need to see an orthopaedic surgeon. She really put the wind up me and i came home in floods of tears as she was talking about treatment costing into the thousands and that she didn't think our insurance will cover it and i should probably think of returning him to the breeder etc etc. We videoed Monty and shared the videos with her and photos and she said she would show the surgeon and call me back today - she hasn't as yet.

I am so stressed out about it as i can't find anything online about this happening to small breeds, especially dachshunds. It seems to be common in medium through to giant breeds and usually a change of diet can fix it. I've also read that they need to be on carpeted floor to help with traction, obviously we've had him on an easy wipe surface as he's still potty training - we have hardwood floors. I've now put down a couple of rugs as i am panicking that its all my fault!

If anyone has any experience or has seen this before, i would be so grateful to hear from you whilst i wait to hear from the vet.

I've attached two images, it's his left paw for verification.