Just got our baby today!

lisaboo

My husband and I just went a saw our first dachshund today. We are moving into our first house soon and always knew we wanted this breed as soon as we had a place of our own. She is a red, long hair, standard size dachshund and was born April 23rd. She will be joining our family in June once she is old enough to leave her mother at 8 weeks! We are new to this breed, and this is the first puppy we have had since being married we have only had cats up until now. We are looking to crate train and do outside potty training our house has a fenced in yard. Any information on brining home this new puppy is very much appreciated. Especially anything we need to do with her right from the start.

We decided to name her Piper my husband picked it but it is really growing on me. We love her she has already stollen our hearts we can't wait to bring her home!

Piper at 4 weeks old! She is the cutest lil thing!

Last edited:

sherlock

Oh my goodness, she is so precious!!! Welcome to our group :)

My biggest advice is patience...they require a lot of love at first! Also, be prepared for potty training to take a while...they're a stubborn breed! Even after you think she's got it, she might backslide...it can seriously take up to a year. Invest in a good carpet spray :p

But they're amazing and insanely clever. My little boy has done some things that I just can't believe he figured out (including barking at the sink when his water bowl is empty, and one time hiding some pills under his bed. Long story.)

I can't wait for more pictures once you bring little Piper home!

Hayleysmom

We put a deposit on our 2nd one Sunday. He's a red long haired. Currently have a 14 week old dapple, they're so much fun and extremely loving. When you hear they're lap dogs, its really an underrated word lol my puppy lives in my lap and is attached to my feet. :D

Penny

Big Congrats to you and hubby on the new addition!! What a little sweet heart! How very exciting! She looks to be a clear red (no black shading) with light colored nails. You'll like that. lol I've always thought Piper was a name for a piebald, you know, the Pied Piper?? lol
I've never had a puppy but crate training is the kindest thing you can do for a doxie. Any time you have pics, of Piper or littermates, or her momma, please post so we can enjoy the sweetness with you.

crystalclear1027

Welcome!!!! And what a great name you picked out for your new baby!!! When we bought Augie home, we put him in a play pen 15 minutes at a time with good chew toys, he cried at first but he got use to it. They are very loyal, loving and give back 110 percent, they are one of a kind type of dog. Enjoy her and can't wait to hear about puppy hood when you bring her home.

lisaboo

We have pictures of the parents and litter.

The mom Maggie Marie she is red blonde long hair with a white stripe. Our Piper is the only long hair out of her four siblings. She also got a small white dot on her chest like her mom. Piper is the darkest in color out of the four as well.

The dad Franklin he is a red short hair.

The litter of four puppies. Piper is the darkest one.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
OMG When I saw the first pic you posted, my heart just melted!!! She is just gorgeous, and looks so feminine! Welcome! you will so enjoy her (when she's sleeping) and she will teach you so much (patience) :)

lisaboo

OMG When I saw the first pic you posted, my heart just melted!!! She is just gorgeous, and looks so feminine! Welcome! you will so enjoy her (when she's sleeping) and she will teach you so much (patience) :)
Thank you she is a dainty little thing. Can't wait to get her home to see what her personality will be like. As of right now she seems to be the guard dog of the litter. She has some feistiness in her. lol

lab1

that is the cutest thing ever ! me and my partner are adopting a dog really soon so im joining forums to get to know the breeds. :) so hi everyone