IVDD

LittleSophie

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum as of today. So, I guess this is a bit of an introduction too. My name is Rocco and I'm living in sunny Florida with my 8 lb miniature dachshund, Sophie. Pleasure to meet all of you!

I noticed recently some weakening in her back legs and an x ray today revealed IVDD. She showed me the pictures and one of Sophie's discs has calcium-ified (couldn't remember correct term). The doc also showed me towards Sophie's tail that part of the spine fused together. She ordered 3 weeks strict crate rest and tramadol (50 mg, half pill every 12 hour) as well as a anti-inflammatory medicine (prescribed last week before the IVDD was diagnosed). She wants to see how Soph responds to the crate rest and wants to reevaluate her in 3 weeks. She was talking about giving a pain medicine as well as a medicine for nerve damage (Sophie showed no signs of nerve damage during examination, just a precaution) but decided not to as she showed me a printout that advised against those medicines in early IVDD as it can make the dog wan to be more active and of course the goal is rest.

I'm here to ask ANY help or suggestions as how to help treat this. If anyone has had a dog with IVDD I'd really love your input. I was also wondering if the vet's care plan seem satisfactory? I'd do anything to prevent a disc from rupturing. I love my dog so much. So far it's just hard to see her have some problems walking; we'd go on hour long walks! And keeping her confined in a crate for 3 weeks...I hope she doesn't think she's being punished. She's my little shadow and would follow me alll over.

I sincerely thank everyone for taking the time to read this. ANY and ALL help is appreciated. God bless

EDIT: Btw, Soph is around 6 years old.

garyd

same program worked wonders for one of my guys about 2-1/2 years ago. not had any problems or re-lapse since. the pain med does give them a false sense that all is ok, so unless it is absolutely necessary, try to forego it.

LittleSophie

same program worked wonders for one of my guys about 2-1/2 years ago. not had any problems or re-lapse since. the pain med does give them a false sense that all is ok, so unless it is absolutely necessary, try to forego it.
Thanks so much for the response, Gary. Glad to hear that your dog got better! Gives me hope that everything will be ok. I've been reading 6-8 weeks is the recommended time for crate rest, however my doc said 3 right now. Just curious how much rest your little guy got? Thanks so much

garyd

Thanks so much for the response, Gary. Glad to hear that your dog got better! Gives me hope that everything will be ok. I've been reading 6-8 weeks is the recommended time for crate rest, however my doc said 3 right now. Just curious how much rest your little guy got? Thanks so much
I don't remember exactly, but I know it was way longer than 3 weeks. 6 seems about right. we were very careful when he was out of the crate to not let him try too much, and carried him up/down outside steps to go potty. he felt better before he was, so don't shorten the crate rest is my advice.

LittleSophie

I don't remember exactly, but I know it was way longer than 3 weeks. 6 seems about right. we were very careful when he was out of the crate to not let him try too much, and carried him up/down outside steps to go potty. he felt better before he was, so don't shorten the crate rest is my advice.
Yes, I am definitely keeping her on a minimum of 6 weeks crate rest; think I'm going to go with 8 to be safe. The only walking she does is when it's potty time and i try to limit the walking as much as possible. Thanks so much for responding to my questions

LittleSophie

So, I decided to update this thread periodically documenting Sophie's recovery process. Hopefully it can help others whose dogs are diagnosed with IVDD by giving them some info on different types of treatments.

Today, Sophie started her first KLaser treatment. It was recommended to purchase a "pack" of these treatments. So, I purchased a 6 pack. These 6 treatments are broken into 3 weeks. The first week she will receive 3 laser treatments, 2 the second week, and 1 the last week. Then she will be reevaluated to check on the progress. The lasers can be used for strained muscles, post surgery, for arthritis and many other uses. Basically, the laser increases circulation, drawing water, oxygen, and nutrients to the damaged area. It increases production of cellular energy (ATP) within cells in the damaged area to help heal faster.

Sophie was in no pain during the procedure, which was 2 sessions of 4 minutes. The laser was just slowly brushed over Soph's spine. They say the pet can feel a bit of a warming or tingling sensation at times, but it didn't seem to bother Sophie much. Her next treatment is on Friday and she finishes her first week of treatments Sunday.

Today, she also started a supplement called VetriScience Vetri Disc which is great for the spine.

I'm doing a little more research into acupuncture at the moment just to possibly have more options down the road if need be. I know I will definitely take her to a pet rehab facility at some point during this recovery process or after to perform strengthening exercises and to learn them myself.

Last edited: