House training help!

Jacquelineann426

Hello all! My name is Jacqueline, and I am a proud owner of a mini dachshund, Luna.

In the beginning stages she was quite stubborn with house training, as many dachshunds I have read are. She adjusted well and was going to the bathroom outside instead of inside.

I began a new career, and my parents were the ones watching her throughout the day. She started going to the bathroom in the house, even when she had been outside for quite some time.

I since then have moved into a new house. Every morning, I take her outside when we wake up. She pees, comes back in, and I feed her breakfast. After she is finished I take her outside for another couple of laps hoping she will then poop.

We spend twenty minutes outside, nothing happens. As soon as we get back into the house, I find a "lovely surprise" on the floor!

I am very stumped, and do not know what to do.

I figure it may be something to do with household changes, however I do not know how to break this cycle.

Any thoughts or suggestions would really be appreciated!!

Penny

Hi and Welcome from Canada! I hope you've got some pics to share with us soon. What color and coat is Luna?

After feeding, put her in her kennel for 15 min, then out to the yard.

Jacquelineann426

She is a long haired black and tan :) I will definitely post some pictures soon!

Great suggestion, I will definitely be trying that. I thought the kennel wouldn't be needed anymore, so I left it at my parents. But I will definitely be going to pick this up today. Thank you.

Penny

Kennel training is very important for this breed. There is a very good chance that she will injure her back at some point in her life and strict crate rest is the remedy. Keeping the kennel around for her, the door open, so she has a safe den to rest in is a very good idea. It should be a safe place because one day you'll be needing to close that door, for her good. It's also a great tool for car rides that when the kennel is strapped in, she will be safe in case of an accident, and if you are injured, she is contained and easily cared for by emergency personnel. Having a dog loose in a car gives them the opportunity to run into traffic in fear. That never has a good ending.

Looking forward to seeing the pics of the cutie.

Barron

housebreaking Luna

Hi Little Luna

I had problems like this with housebreaking as well. I found a great site that helped me. You may want to take a look at Dog Toilet Training | The number one solution to a "number one" problem

They always suggest that you start with a crate and a confined area. If your Luna has free run of the house, the world is her toilet :) It is up to us to show our dogs what is expected and work with them. I used their tip of praising Barron when he peed on our indoor dog toilet, and now he uses this when I am not home or when the weather to too bad to take him outside.

I just caution against punishing little Luna. Positive reinforcement always works best. Just show here what is expected, and she is smart enough to understand.

Let us know what happens, this really is a common problem, and has a simple solution if you have time to work with her.

All the best.

Hello all! My name is Jacqueline, and I am a proud owner of a mini dachshund, Luna.

In the beginning stages she was quite stubborn with house training, as many dachshunds I have read are. She adjusted well and was going to the bathroom outside instead of inside.

I began a new career, and my parents were the ones watching her throughout the day. She started going to the bathroom in the house, even when she had been outside for quite some time.

I since then have moved into a new house. Every morning, I take her outside when we wake up. She pees, comes back in, and I feed her breakfast. After she is finished I take her outside for another couple of laps hoping she will then poop.

We spend twenty minutes outside, nothing happens. As soon as we get back into the house, I find a "lovely surprise" on the floor!

I am very stumped, and do not know what to do.

I figure it may be something to do with household changes, however I do not know how to break this cycle.

Any thoughts or suggestions would really be appreciated!!