Hi and seeking advice

BigNorm

Hi, we are in process of looking for a puppy and cannot make our mind up whether or not to go mini or standard. We have a sensible 7yr old daughter and a 14 yr old terrier cross.
Any differences other than size regarding personality etc?
One concern I have is how difficult are they to house train?
Was hoping the old terrier might show them the ropes.
I know a puppy will have accidents, but how long on average does it take to house train them.
Regards and thanks
BigNorm (West Yorkshire England)

Nell

Hi and welcome from Hertfordshire!

I cant help you too much on the differences between mini and standard ( I have never had a standard) but as to the house training there is a lot said about the fact that dachshunds can be difficult to house train but I would disagree with that.

If you make sure you get your puppy when you will be able to devote maximum time with it and are on the case from the start you really shouldn't have too many problems. At eight weeks a pup will need to go very often. The key is recognising the signs and getting them out straight away.

Toilet training is all about developing a habit, if the pup habitually goes outside then it will learn very quickly this is the place to go. The more "accidents" you have inside the more chance they will develop the habit of going indoors.

I picked my puppy up at eight weeks, she was clean during the day in three days. I kept her in her bed beside my bed and she would cry to go during the night, at first I was getting up twice a night! (its like having a baby) it soon went to once and within a couple more weeks she was going all night. She still sleeps in her own bed beside mine (she is 10 months) and never moves all night!

I wish you luck, getting a new dog is very exciting and I hope you find the right pup for you.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I've never had a Standard either, but technically theres not supposed to be any difference but size. Under 11 is a mini, anything over is a St... but I expect there are some differences.

Mouse wasn't fully housetrained until she was 9 months old, but I didn't get her until she was almost 6 months. But she never has accidents now.