Hi All~Dachshund Dilemmas!

cctumby

New to the forum hoping to get some help from other doxie parents out there! I've always had dachshunds so I'm not new to their quirky behaviors. I had 2 doxies & 1 sheltie together. My alpha wean passed away 2 years ago and then my sheltie went to the rainbow bridge last year which left Wally boy by himself. Wally is 6 yrs, was a very sweet and gentle passive wean. Has never shown dominance or aggression until we rescued a puppymill dachshund 2 months ago. Hope is between 2~3 years old and luckily passive. Wally started resource guarding the couch. He attacks her when she puts her paws on the couch asking to get up. Luckily, I know now to catch him before he goes buzurk but unfortunately I am not always in view of the couch. It's getting progressively worse. Now he starts his stare down when she walks into the room and wants to go after her. He guards the pantry sometimes and my sleeping pillows. I tell him no and grab his scruff which does absolutely nothing he is so fixated on her. I've never had a dachshund like this and was not his personality with his previous sisters, he was the bottom of the pack. I think he is annoyed/jealous and he wants her gone. On the flip side, Hope has severe, severe, severe separation anxiety and Wally has to listen to her bark the entire time I am gone which I try to limit to 2 hours at most during the week. Hope does not sleep through the night and wants to get everyone up starting at 3am. I have to sleep on the floor because she wants to jump off the bed and then Wally follows and I don't want either one of them to hurt their back. I pick her up and tell her to go back to sleep and this is ongoing every 20 minutes (chasing weans around):rolleyes: until I give in at 540am and get up for good. Hope wants to eat the carpet, toenails and has nervous energy. Since it's cold out I run her around in the house. When it does warm up we go on two, 2 mile walks/runs and it still does not settle her down. I'm at my wits end with these two nut cases. I love them to death just never had issues like this with my dachshunds. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to sleep more than two hours a night :):D Also, they have both been checked for health issues which neither one has any.

Penny

Hi and welcome! I don't have any suggestions so sorry about that. It's got to be tough having so little sleep. It must make your nerves raw and more difficult to manage the situation. Maybe a dachshund rescue can offer you some advice.

vizzla

Sorry to hear that you have theese problems.

Is the dog checket at a vet? Maybe he is in pain or hes sight is getting bad? Behavioural problems can come from diseaces or injures.

Can you do things with him on the side? You and him getting some own time together to learn trick or rally obedience or something? If it is that he is jelous that may help a bit.

Do you walk them together every day? From what my dog trainer says, that is how to get dogs to get along. To walk together. I dont know if it will work but worth a try?
Good luck!
So glad to hear you dont leave them alone as much :)

Lynn

Hi, gosh I really feel for you. My suggestion would be to hire a professional trainer if at all you can before things get any worse. In the meantime I would try a squirt bottle on him to deter the behaviour. Then I would get yourself a small treadmill so you can exercise both of them. She obviously needs it but he will also benefit from it as well and may lower his aggression.
Good luck and keep us posted!

cctumby

My Wally boy is still couch aggressive I don't think that's ever going away! Hope is doing much better. I quit using the crate and she likes the free roam when I leave. I guess the crate reminded her of the puppy mill. She does like to get up at 5am for food. She's just a stinker! Very hyper and going for walks I have found make her more nervous so she runs around in the house, ha ha!