Future doxie owners

JenEric Travelers

Hi everyone,

We're Jen and Eric from Austin TX. We're future doxie parents and researching breeders. We're new to dog ownership, not having dogs since childhood (were both 30- yrs from those days)

We're choosing doxies because we like to travel and would like a smaller dog to move about with. We don't have kids so we're able to spend time with a doxies personality, and we'd prefer a smaller dog breed for our home.

Any first timer advice?

Thank you

Last edited:

babysis

Welcome! They are fun to travel with, that's for sure! There is so much out there on doxies to learn! I was learning up until the day my little girl passed on! Make sure to brush the teeth daily. Once they get older, if their teeth aren't brushed/cleaned, the smell can get pretty rank and cause health issues. Encourage your future doxie to play and run around. Don't let them jump high or excessively because some can be prone to back issues but by all means play with them! It might be hard to but keep them warm with doggie sweaters when it's cold! When you find the kid (Lol furry kid) you want, double check the breeding lines to make sure there isn't inbreeding. There are a lot of backyard breeders who don't know what they are doing and don't care for the well being of the animal. (I am speaking from experience on that because my girl that just passed on, I found her lineage papers and saw inbreeding). Of course all doxies are sweet and have a gentle disposition regardless of how they were bred though! Well there is probably more but I can't think of any! Good luck on getting one!

Nell

Hi and welcome from the UK!

My advice would be to research as much as you can, there are some hereditary diseases in dachshunds (like many breeds) so make sure parents have all health tests etc. Make sure you understand about the double dapple gene as well. The three coat types have certain characteristics as well so look into this before you choose. Then all you have to do is find a reputable breeder but don't take any puppy offered to you under 8 weeks old. Good luck with finding your new addition to the family and remember to post some pics when you have found the one!

Penny

Hi and Welcome from Canada!
When we were ready to adopt a doxie, we contacted a show breeder and let her know that we would be happy to adopt an adult that was ready to retire. Our current 3 are retired show dogs and our first, who's gone now, was an adult from a pet home that was in rescue. Show dogs have had socialization with strangers and other breeds, are crate trained and leash trained. Not a bad way to go if you are considering this breed for the first time.

That said, if you decide on a puppy, please be sure to crate train them. The reason is that many adults at some point injure their back and the treatment is strict crate rest for some weeks. If they are comfortable in a crate because it's their safe place, their den, you are doing them a great kindness. I'm not saying to lock them up for hours in it but rather make it very comfortable for them so they go in there to sleep. When ours go for a car ride, they travel in a crate which is strapped in and their info and a number to call is on the outside of the kennel. It's safest for them and if we are hurt, hopefully the dog inside the kennel will end up at a vet or at least a family member who can care for them.

I hope you share photos when you finally chose your new sweetie. Can't wait to meet them.