Fourth of July, One new and one old

weiserboy

Hi, I have two mini's. One's a three year old and the other is a new born(8 weeks old). The three yr old has bad anxiety when it comes to loud noise. What should I do for the 8 week old, so the same thing doesn't happen to her?

Peanut

When it comes to fireworks and dachshunds - all dogs, honestly - it's hard to just make them OK with it. It's not a common noise, and most dogs are not a fan of them.

Other noises, like I notice vacuums are common, the only way to help with that is to run the vacuum around them, let them get used to it. I'm not sure I'd recommend that with fireworks. Dog ears are sensitive. I hope somebody else has more advice, because all I can think is to leave them inside, far enough away from them to not scare them.

sherlock

Welcome!!!

I was worried about the same thing with my boy Watson, and also posted on here about a week ago. Here's the thread I posted and got some wonderful feedback to help with the anxiety. I hope it will help you too!!

weiserboy

Thanks for the link, I read it before posting. I just didn't want to highjack your thread. I was thinking I would work with Sancho(my three yr old) but I wanted to avoid the same type of behavior with Jemma. I heard or read that I can get a sound track of fireworks and distract the dog by having him walk on a treadmill.

Thanks for your replies

HilyBee

Be careful with the soundtrack of fireworks - it can either work for or against you. If you chose to desensitize your puppy against firework noises, do it slowly and with lots of treats/praise. The last few days have been a bit rocky with our little guy. He was a tad nervous again. We just repeated the training we did for storms - treats, praise, soothe/calming voice. - and it has worked. :)

Good luck!