for those of you asking about colour genetics.

Discussion in 'Dachshund Health and Genetics' started by DeafDogs, Jul 31, 2013.

1. DeafDogs

DeafDogs Alberta Region Moderator

Pets:
    3 mutts, two deaf/vi mini Dachshund
    This is the best, most comprehensive site on colour and coat genetics in dogs I've ever seen. We can all become experts now lol

Dog Coat Colour Genetics

2. Nell

Nell Member

Pets:
    Mr Woods & Miss Constance Lloyd
    Thank you! I have read so much conflicting information its just too confusing?
    This is really helpful :)

3. DeafDogs

Pets:
    I actually contacted the lady to see if she could help me figure out what colour Boo is... cuz he's not normal lol. I actually think he's a tweed... but she said she's never seen ot on a double. She got back to me right away and asked for pics. So we'll see :)

4. Penny

Penny New Member

Pets:
    Beau, Engli & Georgia
    She's never seen ot on a dapple.
    What does that mean?? lol

Let's see some pics of Boo!!

5. DeafDogs

Pets:
    she's seen it in single merles/dapples but not doubles.

From her site

6. DeafDogs

Pets:
    Ok here are some that I sent her :)

Attached Files:

7. Nell

Nell Member

Pets:
    How interesting, please don't forget to let us know what she replies!

I was so impressed with Jess's page I have also liked her face book page and have emailed her as well with a question I have.

Knowledge is good, if more people took the time to understand genetics before they bred their dogs we wouldn't see many of the problems our dogs have today.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  8. Nell

Nell Member

Pets:
    I contacted Jess as I am trying to work out if my pup (who has very dark liver whiskers) is a recessive red and this is what she replied:

"As for whether she is a recessive red or a sable, this is a more difficult question. Both colours occur in Dachshunds and they can look essentially the same. Her whiskers will be dark liver rather than black (black is genetically impossible on a liver-nosed dog), and there is an idea that whisker colour can distinguish between sable and recessive red. On this basis she would be a sable, although I wouldn't want to say for definite as the whisker thing has not really been confirmed!"

9. Penny

Penny New Member

Pets:
    Beau, Engli & Georgia
    I don't understand how a recessive red and sable look the same. They do not. Sable is a term used for long hairs only and it's a red dog with a lot of black shading, often showing a widows peak on the forehead. It looks like a bl/t from a distance. Recessive red has no black shading at all.

Maybe you are confusing her reply?

10. Penny

Penny New Member

Pets:
    Beau, Engli & Georgia
    If you have a red dog with a liver nose, she is a choc based red. Whether she is an ee red or not is another matter. Does she show choc shading on the typical places where a black based red shows shading? Down the back, on the tail, on the ears?

11. Nell

Nell Member

Pets:
    What I do know is my pup is a bb (hence the liver nose). Both of my pups parents were red, mum had a liver nose and dad had a black nose.

I was trying to find out if my pup was a recessive red because what I have read on the internet so far seems to say a clear red has no liver or black hairs, (my pup has dark liver whiskers) and Jess suggested she may be a sable?

The only short hair "reds" advertised in the UK are clear red, shaded red (red with a dark overlay on the spine / tail ) or a red dapple. I haven't seen a short hair sable registered with the KC either so I am now even more confused.

Could it be what you call a sable we call shaded red?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  12. Penny

Penny New Member

Pets:
    Beau, Engli & Georgia
    No, they are different. A shaded red will have black hairs mixed in with the red. A sable will have hairs that are red at the base and go black at the tip.

If she has no chocolatey shading in the usual areas where there is shading, then she is an ee red, or clear red. That's the easiest way to tell.

13. Nell

Nell Member

Pets:
    Thanks Penny, this pup is advertised in the UK as a short hair shaded red, is this what you call a sable?

I haven't seen a sable here, the long hair pups with the darker shading seem to be also called shaded red.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  14. Penny

Penny New Member

Pets:
    Beau, Engli & Georgia
    It could be either. Remember, it takes a hands on look to see if the hair is red at the root, black at the tip. You can't see that from a photo, so if they say it's a shaded red, it likely is. Doxies can have just a bit of shading or lots, it can vary.

Doxie genetics can get complicated. lol

15. Penny

Penny New Member

Pets:
    Beau, Engli & Georgia
    There is a sable posted in this page...

longhairpics

I'm going to ask my genetics friend if sable can be a smooth. It might be called wild boar. I'll get back to you on that.

16. WatsonDachshund

WatsonDachshund New Member

Pets:
    Watson & Tatum
    Hi, new to this site and a new mini Dachshund owner. I see this is a few years old but was wondering if you ever found out for sure what color this puppy is considered? Mine is colored the exact same way and I have been researching trying to figure it out myself. I had it narrowed down to being a red or wild boar but after reading about the wild boar I don't think that is correct. Anyway thanks in advance for any info.