Fear of Loud Noises?

Doxmom

I'm sure this phobia has a name, I just don't know it...but apparently a neighbor is having some work done on their home. It sounds like a very very loud hammering is going on. It's been two days now of this constant hammering (or something), very loud in the distance.

Well, Bree won't go out on the patio or even walk down the street now. I'm assuming that the loud noise is scaring him..because his whole personality outdoors has changed. He was a fairly confident little boy, anxious to get to the end of the driveway and walk/explore during our walk. Now, I'd have to drag him - and he's just staying by the front door, acting stubborn and refusing to walk.

Anyone else have a doxie who has such a negative reaction to loud noise? :eek:

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Well, that's certainly not an issue for my Doxies! LOL

If I had that issue, though, I would desensitize him to it, using clicker training and yummy hot dogs! LOL

Here's a vid on desensitizing to the vacuum, it would be a similar proces to external noise phobias
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCNAv5aETho]Training your dog to be fine with the vacuum cleaner - YouTube[/ame]

Doxmom

Wow, that is terrific, Sara. Thanks so much! Yes, I was thinking of you when I wrote that post, figuring that noise adversion was not something you would need to work on!!

I found out that the neighbor is having work done on his roof! Bree and I did sit out together on the patio for awhile (in the sun, Bree's favorite!) and he did okay.

Hopefully, the pounding will stop soon!:mad:

nola

Sara's advice is spot on. Check out Kikopup and Tab289 on YouTube, they both have incredible videos on training and behavior. They're who I've use to teach Nola.

Nola's reactive (barking like mad, lunging) to garbage trucks (no idea why) and umbrellas. What was the distraction portion of her Canine Good Citizen test? An umbrella. :rolleyes: She failed miserably On that the first time, luckily they Let us retake that part. :)

Doxmom

Wow - I really would love to work up to the Good Citizen certification with Bree...Hopefully, Santa will pay for the first of three courses from Petsmart leading up to the certification..(Are you listening, Santa??);)