Engli's cauliflower growth

Penny

She had a cauliflower kind of growth that wobbled around and was bloody from rubbing so it came off today with a local anesthetic. The incision is huge! I wasn't expecting that.

Can you believe it, just a local for this? I fell over. She was a very good girl, just lied down and let them take care of her.

CaseyKC

Hi Penny, I remember you and your beautiful pack from a previous forum.

About 10 or so years ago we had a beagle who started getting growths like that when she was around 10 years old. Her then vet would remove them under anesthesia and send them to a lab. The results were always the same, "benign fatty tumors." Due to the high cost of these "operations," around $400 to $600 each time I took her for removal, I eventually decided to only have only the fatty tumors that were vulnerable to getting bumped removed, or ones that were getting quite large. For example, she had one on the end of her tail that would bleed whenever she wagged her tail and it hit the floor or a wall, and of course that one had to be removed. We moved to a different local sometime after that tail fatty tumor was removed and of course we began seeing another vet. When a fatty tumor near her ear began to bleed if she scratched her ear with her hind foot, I took her into our new vet. He read her medical records and decided to tie this tumor off. He showed me exactly how to do it and suggested I could do some of the other ones, as long as they had a "neck." After about 4 or 5 days, it turns black and falls off, leaving a small scab. You dab it daily with rubbing alcohol to keep it clean before it falls off. It takes two people to tie one off, one to hold the dog and the other to tie the NOT mint flavored dental floss around the neck, as close to the skin as possible. The vet said that the tumors that had no neck would have to be done by surgery in his hospital. I sort of remember that he said the fatty tumors were caused by a virus that older dogs are vulnerable to.

Penny

Hi Penny, I remember you and your beautiful pack from a previous forum.

About 10 or so years ago we had a beagle who started getting growths like that when she was around 10 years old. Her then vet would remove them under anesthesia and send them to a lab. The results were always the same, "benign fatty tumors." Due to the high cost of these "operations," around $400 to $600 each time I took her for removal, I eventually decided to only have only the fatty tumors that were vulnerable to getting bumped removed, or ones that were getting quite large. For example, she had one on the end of her tail that would bleed whenever she wagged her tail and it hit the floor or a wall, and of course that one had to be removed. We moved to a different local sometime after that tail fatty tumor was removed and of course we began seeing another vet. When a fatty tumor near her ear began to bleed if she scratched her ear with her hind foot, I took her into our new vet. He read her medical records and decided to tie this tumor off. He showed me exactly how to do it and suggested I could do some of the other ones, as long as they had a "neck." After about 4 or 5 days, it turns black and falls off, leaving a small scab. You dab it daily with rubbing alcohol to keep it clean before it falls off. It takes two people to tie one off, one to hold the dog and the other to tie the NOT mint flavored dental floss around the neck, as close to the skin as possible. The vet said that the tumors that had no neck would have to be done by surgery in his hospital. I sort of remember that he said the fatty tumors were caused by a virus that older dogs are vulnerable to.
Well I was expecting something very easy with a single stitch but this is a huge thing. I wish the floss idea could have been done, no stitch even.
Sigh.

We have to get through it healing now, hoping it doesn't get infected, and she's kenneled so the other dogs don't mess with it. Such a big deal for a little 'cauliflower head'.

Lupita

Poor Engli!

That looks terrible. I hope she's not in too much discomfort. And hopefully she won't get any more of these tumors.

I hope she feels better soon.Minnie has to go once a year and have growths removed off of her.Last time their was about 6-10.The vet said if we don't remove them,they could turn into cancer.We've already lost one to cancer so we sure dont want to go down that road again.Minnies will feel like small hard ball (kinda the size of a garden pea) right underneath her skin.last think she looked like Franeweenie with all the different cuts on her.Now she has started getting growths in her eyes.we had to go have those removed a few months ago.she will be 12 this year.they do also have to cut deep and wide to get some of the growths.i will be thinking before hand,well this should be a tiny little incision,but then after the surgery,it will be much bigger.hope this will be your only time that you have to go through this.
sheila