Dachshund or chiweenie?

bsbfrantic

Last weekend we found a doxie lost in the road and while searching for it's owners my 5yr old fell in love. So on Monday I called and looked for HOURS and was able to only find 1 doxie at the local shelter (breeders are all sold out for a year). Well after researching why one ear is always stuck up I saw someone mention to someone else with the same issue that there dog was not just dachshund but probably part chihuahua (not my favorite breed, no offense). I was just wondering if the puppy we got looks full breed or chiweenie? Thanks in advance!

Doxmom

He's just precious! Looks doxie to me, but I'll let the experts chime in. Adorable, in any case. What did you (or your son/daugter) name him?;)

bsbfrantic

We named her CoCo =) We don't get to bring her home for another 2 weeks is the only bummer, she is so young they have to wait to spay her and they won't let her come home on the promise to do so (even though I have roof I did that with my other dog).

Penny

The stand up ear definitely is not doxie! lol
If there's chihuahua in there, her legs will be a bit longer, the front of her chest flatter.
She looks like a mischief, full of beans. Congrats!! Wishing her many happy and healthy years with you.

MatthewLP

Definitely chiweenie. Ears are more pointed where doxies fold and tips are more rounded at the ears. They should not want to stand errect or easily raised. Even if they do fold over shold lay almost flat on the head. Nose and Muzzle definitely Chihuahua. Eyes are more round where Doxies are more of a Almond shape. The chest "What I can see from you holding the dog" Slopes into feet and seems very level, as a Doxies breast bone is more pronounced and gives greater chest and digging power. Small dainty feet, Nails seem very small as a doxies are much bigger, and thicker.

Looks awesome, playful, cute and healthy.

Matthew Plummer
Kansas City, Mo

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Sorry, a chiweenie vote here too, but they are absolutely awesome little dogs too. I like that mix, honestly. I hate designer dogs, but I feel the mix between chi and doxie is a good one, shortens the body and lengthens the legs a bit :)

babysis

It's hard to tell if that is a chi mix. I'm inclined to say a chiweenie but then again when my girl was a pup she looked similar to yours and she's a 100% doxie. SO adorable though! Enjoy your new pup! They are so much fun!