Confused.

zoey

Hi all. I'm new to This forum and also new owner to My 4Months old mini dachshund puppy. I have a problem to ask all experts here Haha.
My dear furkid will pee and poo in his peetray when in his cage. Once he's out he'll pee/Poo everywhere. what can I do? And Why is this happening?
I try putting the peetray outside in the living room. But it doesn't work. Help!!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

JPsMOM

When you say cage i am assuming like a crate? Maybe? And what is a pee tray? Is that a bathroom inside the crate? How long is the pup in there? What steps have you taken to work on potty training? I assume you are wanting the pup to potty outside? More information would be helpful. On the surface it sounds to me like a baby that doesnt have any idea where to potty.

Sent via tapatalk

vizzla

Hi all. I'm new to This forum and also new owner to My 4Months old mini dachshund puppy. I have a problem to ask all experts here Haha.
My dear furkid will pee and poo in his peetray when in his cage. Once he's out he'll pee/Poo everywhere. what can I do? And Why is this happening?
I try putting the peetray outside in the living room. But it doesn't work. Help!!

He hasnt got the message that peeing is for outside. Dont crate your dog, this can lead to problems like this because of the stress it causes to be put in an cage.

Take the dog outside and stay there till he does outside, praise and go inside. Go outside as often as every hour. I did with our rescue doxie. It takes time and patient from your side if you want him to get pottytraind.

Good luck!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I disagree with Vizzla. Crate training helps them learn to pee in the appropriate place. But it needs to be done correctly. Do NOT give your puppy run of the house. Keep him leashed pr crated. Take him to his "spot" every 1/2 hour or so. Party when he goes appropriately. Ignore the accidents, because theu ate your failures, not his. Crate training properly will prevent stress. Vizzla lives in a place that doesn't allow crate training, and consequently doesn't believe in it.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

zaniitee9

What do you exactly want from him, to potty inside or outside?
I have almost 4 months old pup at home, I got him when he was 8 weejs old. I started to train him from first day, took him outside few minutes after meal, after sleeping, after some time having playtime. Eveytime he pees outside, I give him treat and show him how happy I am I use a world "pee" eveytime and now he knows what to do when I take him out and say pee. Of course, there was accidents, but I grabbed him Eveytime he started to do his business inside and put him outside
He has access to every room in ground floor, we have gates only on stairs so first floor is closed for him .In night time we leave him in kitchen where he had his bed.
I'm leaving potty pads on floor at night ime when we are gone. Those pads had some smell so he very fast took it. Or maybe it's because he doesn't like the cold floor :D
So it just takes time and you have to make these things for pup as clear as you can because it sounds like he is confused and hasn't get yet where he is and where he is not aloud to do his business
Got luck and lots of patience!

vizzla

Maybe this video can help:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPiFcG7ROI&feature=share&list=PLF26FD559887E7EA4&index=13]Dog Training: House training a puppy or rescue dog - YouTube[/ame]

vizzla

I disagree with Vizzla. Crate training helps them learn to pee in the appropriate place. But it needs to be done correctly. Do NOT give your puppy run of the house. Keep him leashed pr crated. Take him to his "spot" every 1/2 hour or so. Party when he goes appropriately. Ignore the accidents, because theu ate your failures, not his. Crate training properly will prevent stress. Vizzla lives in a place that doesn't allow crate training, and consequently doesn't believe in it.

I really hope you have BIG crates as you like to use them :)

I know we can teach dogs not to go inside without using a crate. I believe in fence or gates so they cant run around but not a crate.

:)

I would never leave a dog in a crate for 1/2 hour at a time. Its a really long time! Not beeing abel to move around, exploring and doing puppystuff.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
That's what happens here. Crates are actually recommended here by everyone. We all have to work. We cannot stay home with our dogs, so crates are necessary to keep dogs safe and ourselves sane. My Oliver still chews plastic, so he is still crated when I am not home, even though he's almost 6. Keeps him safe and me from expensive vet bills

vizzla

That's what happens here. Crates are actually recommended here by everyone. We all have to work. We cannot stay home with our dogs, so crates are necessary to keep dogs safe and ourselves sane. My Oliver still chews plastic, so he is still crated when I am not home, even though he's almost 6. Keeps him safe and me from expensive vet bills

We work too, but we dont crate our dogs. A dog that is properlly activated before you go to work and are attendet to during the day by you or anyone you know.

Just becase something is recommendet it doesnt mean its good... You can change traditions ;)

I know you dont want to hurt your dog but I see it a bit different.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Sorry, I totally do not agree. A crate is a safe, happy place for a puppy, if trained correctly. You will not find a single trainer here that doesn't recommend them, vet associations also recommend them.

Nell

Sorry but I don't like crates either. I didn't get a dog to keep it in a cage and a closed crate is a cage. My dogs are part of my family, I wouldn't put a child in a crate, I would teach them to behave from young and to me a dog is no different.

Dogs need three things to thrive, love, good food and freedom of movement.

People have campaigned for years not to have zoo animals in cages and now we are doing the same to our pets.

I totally understand the need to have a dachshund used to a safe place, in case there are back problems etc, but this doesn't mean you have to leave them in a closed crate. Restriction of free movement will cause back problems.

Also I would never leave my dogs in a crate with the door closed as if there was a house fire they would be totally trapped.

Last edited:

vizzla

Sorry but I don't like crates either. I didn't get a dog to keep it in a cage and a closed crate is a cage. My dogs are part of my family, I wouldn't put a child in a crate, I would teach them to behave from young and to me a dog is no different.

Dogs need three things to thrive, love, good food and freedom of movement.

People have campaigned for years not to have zoo animals in cages and now we are doing the same to our pets.

I totally understand the need to have a dachshund used to a safe place, in case there are back problems etc, but this doesn't mean you have to leave them in a closed crate. Restriction of free movement will cause back problems.

Also I would never leave my dogs in a crate with the door closed as if there was a house fire they would be totally trapped.
Thank you! Your dog will thank you too! :)

<3

I feel the same about crates. Animals are not ment to spend a life in cage.
When we need to leave our dogs at home (yes we leave them too for max of 3 hours) I keep them in our bedroom where ther is nothing to chew on. I walk them and activate them before I leave them. I but a gate up and the radio on low volume.

Our older dog we could have loose in our appartment. He has never chewed on anything. But our new boy is very wild and crazy so for his sake we keep them in our bedroom.

babysis

It almost sounds like the pup is peeing right outside of the crate in a fear or could be in too long?? For instance, too long for a puppy could be an hour because their bladders are so tiny. As for the fear thing, it isn't anything you would do, it could be your pup was inside the crate and something bumped the side of it, Hence causing the fear. :) You just have to take everything one step at a time and figure out what is best for you and your pup to do.

For EVERYONE: One thing I see in the area I live and I try to stress it to many people is make sure the animal knows the crate is a good place to be. Don't put them there out of punishment. Have them know it is a good/safe place. Praise them for going into the crate. They do understand you. That's my advice to anyone who see's this thread!

Very different opinions on crating an animal. I am indifferent to it but lean towards not using them. I feel there needs to be other options looked at other than crating. If they get back injuries and need rest, then yes they need minimal movement and that is where crating is good. There are different reasons why everyone does it. I never crated my girl though, she would do more harm inside a crate than she would outside it.

Last edited:

Barron

House breaking made simple

Hi Zoey, This is quite common, and I would also like to comment. I have quite a bit of experience here, so I thank you for this consideration.
It is quite unusual for a dog to poop where they sleep and eat, so how long do you leave your little guy in the crate? Maybe his food, maybe stress, or maybe just tough for the little guy to hold it just yet.
I have found the best solution as follows. I am a fan of crate training, the dog needs to define boundaries and my dog feel their crate is their home. However, the door is ALWAYS open. They go in by their own choice. To make like comfortable (and I know other disagree, they feel a dog should be controlled and need discipline) When I train dogs, (and I have trained hundreds) I set up a crate in the persons home, and leave this crate open to a play area. The play area is a small fence I buy at a baby store (about $30) This fence attached to the open crate and creates a limited access area for the dog to learn what we expect of them. In the gated area, I have water, chew toys, interesting things to keep the dog from feeling bored, and his dog toilet. It is up to you to show your dog what is expected of him, but instinct will tell him not to poop where he sleeps or eats. This will stress him out if there is no other option,
So create this environment for your furry friend, make it a happy place. After he has learned how to use his dog toilet (I hate puppy pads) you can begin offering him for freedom.
Usually when I am home, or after a few weeks, you can also leave the gated area open. He will find his way back inside to his "safe place" when he has to pee and you are not there to let him out, when he wants water, or when he wants to curl up in the safety of his crate and take a nap.
Please let us know what happens here. All the best.