Calcified dachshund back

Opiejoe

Hello,,, new to the group ,,, I have 7 dachshunds ,,, my oldest is 13 ,,, my very first one ... About 4 years ago Dr said he had a lot of calcification in his back ... He would get sore but with Robaxin v and metacam he would pull out of it ...... Lately he's been slowing down a lot probably his age to ,,, but I can tell it's his back also hurting him more so the Vet added Tramadol 50mg ,,, 3 times a day ,, along with the other meds ,,, I was worried about the side affects on his liver and kidneys but the Vet told me this ,,,,, that I had 2 choices ,,,I could either give him the meds and him be pain free and there might be a chance of hurting his organs and he could live a good life for maybe 1 1/2 years or stop meds and he would probably live 2 more years but would always be in pain ,,,, so I went with the meds,,,, I just want to do the right thing ,,,, at this point I need advice from other Dachshund owners about what was the safest way to go concerning the meds ,,, should I play around with them to see what works best ? And which meds would cause less damage ,,,, thanks for taking the time to read my post ,,,,,,,,,,,, Rhonda

CaseyKC

Never having had to go through this problem, I have no knowledge or advice to share, but if it were me, I would contact the nearest university with a veterinary degree program and make an appointment for an examination and consultation. This would give you a second opinion. If the answer is the same as your current vet, then you will have more data to make your decision. Since the vet schools have the latest information and techniques, they might be able to suggest an alternative treatment, if not, at least you would making a decision based on two professional opinions.

I think Texas A&M might have such a program, or any other land grant university near you. Sorry I can't be of more help, but please let us know how it works out.

CaseyKC

When my Libby, now age 10, was around 2yo, she started having terrible rashes. Her vet did blood panels and the usual suspects showed up, including pine pollen, dust, and leaf mold (to this day I do not know exactly what "leaf mold" is, but her rash took over, sores all over, hair falling out and a nasty secondary yeast infection. We took her to Tufts in Boston and later on to Cornell in NY. They both suggested it might be a grain allergy. We tried a bunch of different foods and found one that did not contribute to more lesions. Eventually the rash cleared up and she has been on Taste of the Wild (Salmon formula) ever since. We do get flare ups during pollen season, but with wiping her down with a damp paper towel and dabbing neosporin, the rash is mild and clears up. This is why I suggested a university teaching vet hospital. I think without this grain suggestion, she would have been miserable forever.

I also have a 13 year old with calcified discs. He has a little bunny hop walk with his rear legs but when he sees a squirrel, he can run like he turned on his after burners. I keep him on a good fish oil and lots of rest. He does not limp but I do have pain meds for him as needed. He will go outside on his own, just slower than his siblings. He eats well and it's a struggle to keep his weight down which I think is one of the most important things you can do. Ask to see a holistic vet. I had to see one and you learn so much.
Milk thistle is good for cleaning the liver. I'd ask your vet about previcox for pain and if you should be giving something like tagamet to coat tummy before giving meds. Unless meds need to be given on empty stomach, I always try to make sure that he eats first.

Last edited:

Tikki

The following is not specific for Dachshunds but for all dogs. The problem with pain-killers is that it makes the dog feel more comfortable therefore it will carry on leaping, jumping, whatever, because it does not hurt. But the action of leaping, jumping etc will be doing more and more damage.

Plus there are also the side effects from pain-killers which, although they might be different for each dog, sooner or later will cause other major problems in that they are usually processed through the liver or somewhere in the GI tract.

At 1am on 1 April last year my Vet came here to give my six year three month old mutt peace. I could have added more, and then more, AEDs but that would have taken her soul and spirit away.

Sometimes it is time to say goodbye to our beloved furkids before they show how much they are suffering. And dogs are very good at hiding pain. I do not think my girl was in pain but I could see in her eyes that it was time.

Too much medication hides too much pain, too many symptoms, and too many side effects that we, as mere humans, are not aware of.

I know that I will never put my puppy through that. I love her too much.

There is nothing wrong with giving pain meds as long as your vet agrees.
Also, as long as your dog still has a good quality of life I see no need to have them PTS. Too many people will put a doxie down because of back issues. I have seen these little dogs do great with surgery and also with wheel's.
Calcified Discs: What they are and what they mean in the Dachshund back
I would never ever let a dog suffer.
I am sorry for your loss. I lost my girl last year to bladder cancer.

Tikki

There is nothing wrong with giving pain meds as long as your vet agrees.
I am in total agreement with that, as well as your following comments.

Also, as long as your dog still has a good quality of life I see no need to have them PTS. Too many people will put a doxie down because of back issues. I have seen these little dogs do great with surgery and also with wheel's.
Calcified Discs: What they are and what they mean in the Dachshund back
I would never ever let a dog suffer.
I do not think any real dog lover would ever let their beloved dog suffer.

I am sorry for your loss. I lost my girl last year to bladder cancer.
Thank you. In her case both her Vet and I had discussed this, and more AEDs [anti-epileptic drugs] would not have helped and I did not want a zombie dog who had no real life. So when it was time, it was time. But she was so young. I just loved her too much to do anything when all she needed was peace, and I do not know of many Vets who would come out at 1am to euthanise a dog.

Regarding wheels, for a Doxie or any other dog, I am not the person to comment on that, as I am a wheelie myself.