Breeding Question: Double Dapple + Piebald

osu9400

Male: Double Dapple
Female: Red/White Piebald with ticking

We are considering breeding these two one time for family (will not sell them). With the dapple in the mix I have obvious concerns. Is there a chance of blindness or other disorder with this combination? What will the most likely color combinations be?

Penny

Thank you for asking before going ahead with the breeding.
You didn't post any photos of the dogs in question and you asked for color combinations without saying what color the double dapple male was. Unless you know the pedigree of the dogs you won't know what they are carrying in regard to color.

The reds are notorious for hiding dappling. I've seen many puppies for sale over the years that are mismarked as piebald because they have all this white on them and the parent/s are reds with hidden dapple. The breeder then concludes that it must be a pie, and they are wrong. So you're female may very well be dapple as well as piebald. The presence of ticking does not rule out that she is also dapple.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong with the female and her pregnancy. Even experienced breeders have lost their females. Are you sure you want to take the risk? If family would like to adopt a dachshund, there are so many doxies in rescue right now, they are over flowing. Many have lost their homes because the family lost their house, or the older person got sick and died or went into a nursing home. By adopting an adult, you save one and make room for another. We have adopted 4 so far as adults and it's really worked out well for us.

osu9400

Thanks for the reply

I understand what you're saying 100%. We have not made a decision to breed yet. I am just investigating the safety with these two particular dogs. Are there any genetic concerns with a DD and a pie? See attached for photos.

Attachments

Penny

It's hard to say from the photos because I can't see the ears on the red pie very well and she doesn't have much red on her. Can you see if there's any dappling on her ears or any where else that have red?

Nell

No one would be considered ethical to breed at all from a Double Dapple in the UK. Double Dapple will produce some double dapple pups risking blindness, deafness and no other matter of problems. I would urge you to reconsider and look for another stud for your bitch.

"Double Dappling might cause a problem with sight and hearing depending on WHERE it falls on the dog's body. If it falls around the eyes, there is a chance that the dog will be sight impaired. If it falls around the ears, there is a chance that the dog will be hearing impaired. And since it is impossible to predict, determine or control where the double dappling white will fall on a Dachshund's body - breeders cannot control the potential sight or hearing problems the double dappling might cause. Any dapple to dapple breeding has the potential for producing impaired offspring."

Please don't bring another puppy into this world to suffer, its not worth it.

Attachments

Penny

Looking at the ear photos, the red does not look as solid as it would look on a solid red dog. I'd be very suspicious that she is also a dapple. There are 2 things working against you. 1) She has a lot of white so you can't see what the red would look like and 2) you do not know her lineage and pedigree. The best way to find out if she is a dapple is to breed her to a solid colored dog, and not a red one. Black and tan or chocolate and tan. If there is a dapple puppy, you know for sure the mother is dapple. However, if you have only solid puppies, it still does not rule out that she is dapple.

There are tests available to check if a dog is a carrier of a disease that causes early blindness. This is not connected to the dapple gene. If you breed 2 carriers, you have a 50/50 chance with each puppy that they could go blind, suddenly, at an early age. It's good information to have if you are serious about going ahead.