brand new dachshund owner looking for advice!

Hello! I stumbled across this forum today while searching for some info. My name is Tara and my husband and I adopted a 2 year old dachshund last Thursday. I work as a vet tech at a clinic that also has an adoption center that adopts out dogs and cats. Well we had a client surrender this little wiener dog last week and she stole my heart! She is real sweet but very unsocialized and terrified of everything. She's basically lived most of her life in a crate and isn't potty trained very well. The first few nights were kinda rough because since she isn't potty trained she has to sleep in a crate and stay in it again while were at work from about 8-2. I won't lie she much prefers to be out with us, and howled and barked for quite a while the first couple nights we put her to bed in it. So last night I gave in and left her out while we slept and ended up teaching myself a lesson when I woke up to a pee soaked couch cusion and blanket this morning. Tonight I gave her a radio next to her crate and she went to bed without a fuss (success!!!). But the problem were having is she is stubborn about going potty and sometimes (like tonight) refuses to go even though we took her out twice before bed. I'm worried about making her hold her bladder all night but feel like she isn't really taking advantage of her potty opportunities. I'm really hoping someone can offer some advice or tips on potty training as I'm at a loss! Also, here's a pic of her cute self to complete the intro! My hubby named her Duchess <3

the other thing I forgot to mention is we are having trouble getting her to eat her food. We got her iams mini chunks and the Dr at work suggested mixing it with a little canned chicken which worked one time and now she picks the chicken out and leaves the dog food! ???? >_<

Steph

Welcome!
What a cute little girl! How old is she?

What I tell people (I'm an adoption counselor at work) is to treat any new dog as a brand new puppy regardless of their potty training level. So the rule of thumb being 20 minutes after eating, drinking and playing, take them outside. Also and I know most people refuse to use them, but potty pads can be a life saver. Leave them close to the door and when you see her sniffing at them - right outside to potty. You can take the pad out to the yard too. She learn to make the most of her potty opportunities the more times she goes out.

The socializing, you need to make it fun and a game for her. Treats are great for this. Number one rule - don't let her hide behind you. Make her come out to see the world and every time she greets someone or something new - treat. That way new things are associated with something good.

I'm thinking that she doesn't like the food. I know most dogs don't like Iams - we feed it at work and most of the dogs refuse to eat it. A food site to check out and read up about food in general is Dog Food Advisor. Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor In the meantime, wet the food slightly with warm water, don't put anything else in or on it.

Good luck!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Awe she's such a sweetie!!! Steph has some excellent advice for you, but one thing I wanted to say, is dont force her to meet stuff she's scared of, yes, you do not want her to hide behind you, but fix that by you moving away, not pushing her or pulling her out from behind you. Just walk away. This will also help to prevent her learning to guard you as a posession (like many Doxies do). Food and treats are your best friend right now. :)

The other thing I do with shy dogs is ignore them. I leave them alone until they start actively seeking my attention. In this way, it's their choice, and they learn confidence.

As for the potty thing, Steph got it in one :p treat her like she's a brand new puppy, taking her out often, and always praise and treat heavily for every litte piddle or poo. She'll get it :)

vizzla

She is so cute!

Try to put one of your old t-shirts in her crate, that calms our dog (we never keep him in an crate but he always chooses to lay down on our clothes).

She has probibly never been praised when she does the potty right - outside! So give her lots of praise, calmly when she makes outside. Just ignore the indoors accidents.

Play with her outside and stay outside untill she goes. Then prais and go inside. I dont know any other way than you reading her body langugage, learn her time of peeing and pooping and adapt to that :)

Good luck!

Steph

fix that by you moving away, not pushing her or pulling her out from behind you. Just walk away. This will also help to prevent her learning to guard you as a posession (like many Doxies do). Food and treats are your best friend right now. :)
I knew I was forgetting something. Thanks!!

Doxmom

What terrific advice from our members, Tara. And your new baby girl is simply precious!!! How old is she?

I can't add a thing except congratulations! :)

Thanks everyone so much for the warm welcome!!! Duchess is 2 years old and has just been fixed last Thursday. The advice on potty training is invaluable, I have heard dachshunds can be hard to potty train. So far weve just had the one accident in the house and she never goes in her crate. Hopefully with your great advice and a little consistancy well be headed down the right road in no time! Seeing her come out of her shell and bond with us so quickly has been priceless. I am calling around to get her started in a basic obedience class tonight, she doesnt even know the basics like how to walk on a leash or come or sit. But she seems very smart so i have no doubt shell figure it out. Still being very stubborn about her food though and wouldnt touch her breakfast!

Just wanted to confirm that I have the right idea...ignore unwanted behavior and lots of positive reinforcement for good behavior? she is very whiney when I leave the room or sit on a different couch etc. Will ignoring this behavior work too?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
As to her eating.

I certainly would get her off iams, it's garbage food. She wont eat much so you should be able to afford a high quality food. Blue Wilderness, Horizon Legacy, Horizon Amicus, Orijen, Acana, Merrick, Go, Now, Before Grain, The Honest Kitchen, and the lesser quality, but still 100 x better than Iams: Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, Natural Balance, Kirkland (Costco), Blue Buffalo.

Now, as to getting her to eat. I am a believer in feeding a variety of foods. I have several different foods, dry, canned, dehydrated, homecooked, tablescraps and raw, and my dogs get something different every day. Feeding the same food, day after day just causes dogs to become sensitive to stuff that's not in what they're getting. My dogs eat everything that's put in front of them (including Brussel Sprouts!) and always loof forward to dinner. I do not perscribe to the never put extra's in their food.

Quality canned food is not bad for dogs, anymore than quality kibble is. People will say canned is bad for teeth, but dry is not designed to clean teeth either. raw, edible bones are what's needed for that. I ALWAYS float my dogs dry kibble in water, it slows down the gulping and it's better for large breeds (bloat). So if Duchess will eat canned foods, go ahead and feed it, or you could try floating her kibble in a homemade meat broth.

HOWEVER, do not stress about her eating. whatever you decide to do, put her food down for 5 minutes, if she doesn't eat it in that time, pick it up, and feed at her next mealtime. I had one foster that took 3 days to get her to properly eat, but at the end of the three days, she was sticking her head in the bowl and eating it all. SHe had been free fed Kibbles and Bits and overweight, so it took her a bit to learn to eat when food was put in front of her. It wont kill them not to eat a meal or two, and once they're hungry enough, they will eat, and they'll learn that food is special, not just something due to them... it'll seriously help in training!!!

As to training. Make sure you find a trainer that does not use corrective training methods. you want a trainer that uses treats, and you want one that does not use any punishments. a shy dog will do one of two things with corrective training, they will become more afraid, and not trust you, or they will become aggressive. Once she learns that food is special, training with treats will become alot of fun for you and her.

As to her whining, if I get a dog that's like that, I just walk away and ignore them. I do not talk to them or give them what they want (unless they're asking out) I really dislike whiny dogs, so I solve it as soon as possible. The whine will disappear (Eventually) if they never get reinforced for it. and any attention from you (either positive or negative) will reinforce the whine.

Thanks so much for all the info!!! I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart, I can't wait to post updates and pick everyone's brains in the coming months as I'm sure Ill have no shortage of questions!!