Aggressive around food while on diet, need help

Discussion in 'General Training & Obedience' started by InsanityShard, Sep 15, 2017.

1. InsanityShard

InsanityShard New Member

Pets:
    1 dog, 2 cats, 2 budgies, an apple snail, and a lot of fish.
    We have a tweenie sausage dog, he's almost the size of a standard (Just smaller head/legs) and is allergic to many things, as well as being overweight (13 kilos). He's on a diet, but getting more and more aggressive around food, especially since my brother keeps growling at him for even just sitting in the kitchen while he's doing anything in there. And I do mean actual growling, not just telling him off. Is there anything we can do to help him? I know he's mostly heavily frustrated from the diet and his dandruff/allergies, rather than just being dominant. He's on medication for itching and prescription pet food. It's working but slowly.
    What happens is, for example, if I'm cooking something and leave to use the toilet, when I come back he starts barking and charging at me, grabbing what he can (pants, socks, shoes) as a warning and generally forcing me out. He's bonded to my stepdad as the pack leader, and I'm now nervous going into the kitchen or within about 2 meters of any food he's guarding, even if it's on the bench out of his reach, and it's making it worse. I don't know what to do and it's impossible to explain to my brother he's making it worse. He also taunts him with things like chocolate. He's also started eating clothes from the washing machine if it's left ajar at all, he didn't before he went on the diet.