Advice for a newbie to both dog ownership & Dachshunds

Discussion in 'General Training & Obedience' started by Sam Cox, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Sam Cox

Sam Cox New Member

Pets:
    Freddie (Dachshund) Jasper (Maine Coon)
    Hello

I have just joined and recently rehomed a 5 month old Dachshund (Long Haired) called Freddie. I was hoping to get some information or little tricks on how to get him to stop freezing up when on walks. The moment we leave the house for a walk he instantly doesn't want to move, it will then take me a few minutes to get him up the driveway coaxing him with treats. We then live on a fairly busy road which is quite loud from cars speeding by and it takes another good 5- 10 minutes to get him up the road before turning left.
    Most of the time when we turn off this busy road onto quiet roads he gets much better but there is still the occasional freezing up and then we come back onto the busy road he will usually run back towards our house but refuses to walk in the opposite direction towards the park.

I have tried a few different ways to get him to move along such as treats, praise, keeping my back turned hoping he will come to me and giving the lead a few tugs to give him a little hint but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone had this problem before and if so did it improve with age/ training etc? He is quite a confident dog with strangers, other dogs and even my cat but I am just confused by this strange behaviour and would appreciate any help/ advice.

Would also love any tips/ tricks information about training for general obedience such as sits/ lay downs etc. as since rehoming him he hasn't been trained to do any of these so we are just working with him now to try and get him to understand what we want him to do.

Attached Files:

2. TinyDragon

TinyDragon New Member

Pets:
    2 cats and a future puppy
    I've had a problem similar with a dog before. He was terrified of cars and would freeze up till they passed. He was also lovable! Never met a stranger, made friends with everyone and every animal he saw.
    It took a lot of patience, coaxing with treats and getting down to his level to encourage him to come to me. But eventually it did work and they no longer scared him.
    It did take time, I had to start when he was 8 weeks (we didn't have a yard, so he had to be walked) to about 5/6 months old. But don't give up! Just be patient and encourage him and give him lots of treats/praise even for the smallest improvement :)

3. Sam Cox

Sam Cox New Member

Pets:
    Freddie (Dachshund) Jasper (Maine Coon)
    I will keep at it with treats and praise and see how we get on, he seems very head strong in wanting to go his own way when we walk as if I choose to go in a direction and he doesn't want too then there is no moving him.

4. TinyDragon

TinyDragon New Member

Pets:
    2 cats and a future puppy
    For more advise on getting him to go in the direction you want, I suggest looking up Zak George's Dog training on youtube. He has a lot of great helpful videos and a few are on walking