8 month old pup has stopped sleeping thru night

Civy

My 8month old miniature daschund puppy stopped sleeping through the night. She is crated, and sleeps next to her big sisters crate in our bedroom. She decided to whine and bark and make weird moaning noises. we have tried ignoring her, but her noises get louder and more insistent. I'm too old to be kept up all night by a baby :( Help. We have regression for some reason.

Steph

Does she need to go out to potty?
That would be my first thought^^^, but then I also had the same issue with Arelus for a short time. I thought he had to potty, but nope, that wasn't it. So then, I tried leaving my radio on at night - ok, that made things a little better. My last resort was to put back in his crate the big stuffy that he had had since he was a teeny weenie (and I thought he had enough stuff in his crate, so I took it out) and that was the problem! He missed his sleeping buddy. Does she have any favorite toys that you wouldn't mind giving her while she's in bed at night?

Civy

We make sure it's not a potty thing. She was able to hold it all night while sleeping but suddenly she keeps waking. I will take her out without too much fanfare but she still doesn't settle afterwards.

We let our weenies cuddle with us in bed then move them into their crates. The older one loves her crate and won't make a peep. But lately the pup will wake. I've read much about this and most say to ignore it and let her whine. She'll eventually stop. But last night she was relentless. I was tempted to just move her into our bed and get a good nights sleep. :(

Last edited:

Steph

My other suggestion would be is to make sure she's good and tired before putting her to bed. That may mean a big play session with you guys - tossing a ball or a small stuffed toy for her to fetch or even a nice long walk an hour or two before you call it a night. The last one depends on the type of weather you've been having lately. I know we've been having a lot of rain over the past couple of days here, so we play before bed instead of walking.

vizzla

I have read that when they get to that age they can have som setbacks and its a hormonal thing. Just keep doing your rutins at night and that too will pass.

Just wanted to share what worked for me was wearing my doxie out good and tired before putting her in the crate and leaving a radio on low next to her kennel at night. Consistency works with these guys so pick a method and stick with it religiously! Good luck!!

Civy

Thanks all for all the great advice. I finally caved last night. After I took her out to go potty a couple of times, moved the crate next to my hubby so he could reassure her, She was still too distressed. I didn't want to move her into the bed because frankly, she's a bed hog. I moved her crate and all down into the family room. I closed it off with gates like I do when I'm out so she had room to move. I opened the door of the crate she bolted out, jumped on their doggy beds, then went on the sofa, and made herself a little nest and went straight to sleep. Not a peep from her all night long. I guess she's a different personality than our other weenie and does not enjoy the crate. I'll prevent her from roaming the house but the family room is a safe and comfortable place for her. I don't know why suddenly she disliked the crate, but it happened and dogs don't talk so they can't tell us what the deal is. She seems soooo much happier this morning. Thanks again for all the great advise! :)

We thought we would confine Frank to the kitchen after we rescued him from the shelter. Shut the door in one entrance, and put up a baby gate in the other. We were surprised a few minutes after we went to bed to find him in our room. He climbed over the gate, using the cross rungs as a ladder. He took his little hind legs and just motored over the gate.

He sleeps with us now.

Doxmom

He took his little hind legs and just motored over the gate.

He sleeps with us now.
Well, now I don't feel so badly! Bree whined his first two nights, and we let him sleep with us. We never had dogs sleep in our bed - so it was a first for us...

Now, Bree sneaks into our bed & burrows under the covers at the foot of the bed. He's actually very quiet and content. So apparently, his Master Plan is working!

Last edited:

Civy

Honestly folks, I think she may be trying to kill us through sleep deprivation. She's gotten her big sister to reject the crate now. Who can blame her. Why should olive have all the fun? My hubby reminds me that we need to to be firm and consistent. I thought I had it licked when we moved her into the family room.
Wish me luck tho. I will not cave. It's Christmas holidays so we don't have to worry about keeping the entire house awake. I will be totally pooping these girls out during the day. Watch their food and water intake after 8pm. And try to be firm and consistent. We adore these girls but really, could they be any more stubborn? I'll keep u posted. Hopefully, at the very least somebody will learn from my mistakes.... ;)

vizzla

They just are people persons and loves to near us! That makes my heart so happy :) Dont leave doxies out, let them be where you are! :D

They just are people persons and loves to near us! That makes my heart so happy :) Dont leave doxies out, let them be where you are! :D
We could have a poll and you could let us decide whether to let your dogs sleep with you.

I think I know what the outcome would be ... :D :) :D

Milo started to moan and howl in the crate at night at about he same age, 8 months.

I got the pep talk from coworkers: Do not give in. Be persistent, strong, unrelenting and so forth.

Soon thereafter he started sleeping with us. Between us.

Milo started to moan and howl in the crate at night at about he same age, 8 months.

I got the pep talk from coworkers: Do not give in. Be persistent, strong, unrelenting and so forth.

Soon thereafter he started sleeping with us. Between us.
Sounds like Milo took your co-worker's advise.