Need advice with dachshund/puppies rescue.

alexjanic

I do not own dachshunds. I have a small standard poodle and a 45lb doberman. Today my husband I were going to my in laws house and we stopped for gas. I looked out of the window and saw an adorable black and tan dachshund hunting for trash. Her breasts were very swollen and she appeared to still have her milk. She was afraid of me at first but after being patient and using some food to lure her in eventually she was licking and eating out of my hand and she started following me around. I talked to the gas station attendants and they said she was the pregnant stray in the area and that she came to beg for food everyday. This is a really bad area with a lot of traffic and abandoned retail sites. I wanted to take her with me, but I couldnt do it because I was worried about the puppies and my husband/mother wouldnt let me stay long enough to attempt to find them. There are a so many stray dogs in this area.

I am going to go back tomorrow to attempt to find her and the puppies, as apparently she hangs out in that area daily. Does anyone have any tips on finding a mom and puppies? I called a friend of mine who works at the humane society but she said that if they take her they will likely put her and/or babies down.

My plan for tomorrow is to show up with food and two dog carriers/blankets and attempt to find them. Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated.

Penny

I don't have any experience with this but I wanted to say Bless your heart for your kindness.
I have no idea why a place called 'humane society' would put down a mother dog and babies. Does that make any sense? Not to me.

Please keep us posted and know there are dachshund rescues that you can contact that would be much more helpful.

alexjanic

I drove by today and did not see her. My plan is to follow her back to her puppies and hopefully find her. I left my phone number and asked them to call me when they see her and hopefully I can get there in time. I am going to call the surrounding business and ask if they know where she and the puppies are staying and to please call me if they see her. The gas station employee said they see her almost everyday. Apparently she was dropped off pregnant. We are thinking that her owners noticed her was going to have puppies and dumped her because they didnt want to deal with it. It blows my mind, she is CLEARLY a full blooded dachshund. It would have been so easy to find a home for her.

alexjanic

Update

I wanted to give you guys an update.
I was at work today and got a call that mamma was back at the gas station. I left work and drove there. She was still hanging around and seemed excited to see me. I fed her and a nice man attempted to catch her for me. She growled and nipped at him and then ran away. I saw where she went and followed her across a busy intersection and a used car lot. The men barely spoke English but were able to tell me where the puppies were. She had them in the back of a mechanics shop. There was only one puppy left but it looked healthy. The mechanic told me that he gave the other two puppies away. I do not think this puppy is over 8 weeks but I will post pictures and maybe you guys can help me. I took the puppy and was able to get mom! Since being at my house her personality completely changed. She follows me everywhere and is beyond affectionate. She seems so happy to have a food bowl and water. I have already treated her with flea medicine, but i am not sure the puppy is old enough for me to put it on her.
She is just the sweetest dog. I never thought I would own a Dachshund, I typically like bigger dogs, but I think I am going to keep her.

Penny

Wow! Thank you for doing that. Bless your heart.
Wishing you many happy and loving years together. Please post pics when you can, kay?
How is the poodle and doberman handling the new comers?

NuRelic

Great story alexjanic, your doing a good thing. The wifey and I have made 7-8 rescues over the last 20 years and only kept three. Where I live there is a spot in a grocery store parking-lot adjacent to a highway in a fairly affluent neighborhood where people bring pups to sell and rescues to find their forever homes. That's where we've taken most of the dogs we've rescued. If you don't know of one in your area, you might ask friends, family and/or co-workers to see if possibly they know of any. We've never spent more than 30 minutes waiting to find a good human.

You can't guarantee that the human will be 'good' because you have to decide with gut instinct. We've only had one person ask to take a rescue that we didn't feel comfortable with, but thankfully someone else was asking at the same time and we went with them. It's not a lot, but it's something and if your anything like the wifey and I, you'll remember it forever.

Good luck!

Nu

PS
We still get occasional get email updates from one of the humans along with pictures, even though it's been awhile since we heard from him. I think I might send him an email tonight to see how its going.

alexjanic

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. The plan was for my mother to keep the mom (Frankie), and I was going to find a home for the puppy (Nomi). Frankie is doing well although she has some serious issues with men she does not know. I believe that when she was on the street men kicked at her to chase her away. She does not bite or growl, but she does try to chase them away. She loves her new family and sleeps in my moms bed every night.

Before I could find Nomi a home, Nomi got very sick. She would not eat, and was vomiting. The first vet I took her to sent her home with some meds and said she would be fine. Four days later I knew something was seriously wrong an I took her to an Emergency vet who did an X-ray and discovered she had an obstruction. A few hours later I took her to my family vet who said it would cost around 4k (plus the 1k i spent at the ER vet) to save her, or we could put her down. After surgery she needed a lot of care, and we decided we would keep her. She is the best dog I have ever owned. I often catch myself daydreaming at work about getting home so I can rub her belly and let her lick my face. I love her so much I started fostering short legged doxie mixes from the kill list my local county animal shelter, and I just recently adopted a very difficult (but wonderful) little boy who I believe may be from the same litter as Nomi. I have additional pictures of them on my other post. Please excuse the bare mattress in the photo. Nomi's new brother decided that last night was the night to begin marking : (

Attachments